Tips on making spring rolls please

gerry64, Sep 20, 2:45am
I am wanting to use chinese cabbage - prawns - carrots etc- some recipes say cook the cabbage and drain - others say raw cabbage - any tips on either method please

kinna54, Sep 20, 5:22am
bumping for davidt4 to answer this one.filo pastry and my old hands don't go together anymore.

gerry64, Sep 20, 6:27am
cheers kinna

davidt4, Sep 20, 6:29am
Sorry - it's so long since I made cooked spring rolls that I don't have a definitive answer.I would probably use raw vegetables and include some bean thread noodles to hold the filling together and absorb the excess liquid.

By the way kinna54, spring rolls are not made with filo, they are made with spring roll pastry or rice flour pastry.

kinna54, Sep 20, 6:52am
Thanks David.you are quite right. don't know where the thought of filo came from.Maybe cos I had been looking at recipes for something else.I remember watching them being made years ago by a friend.still tricky looking tho.and also remember her doing a wonton making fundraiser.that was fun! She made thousands of the damn things. Good days when the body was still intact lol.

motorbo, Sep 21, 10:55am
if its finely chopped chinese cabbage i would not cook first, its nice to have some crunch.but mostly it will cook through, i make mine with rice paper rols but enclose them - i spray them with oil and bake them in the oven.delish!

shop-a-holic, Sep 21, 11:20am
Spring Roll Wrapper pastry is found at Countdown for under $3.You have to thaw all of them, so some wrappers go to waste; but it is a small price to pay.

Whatever the filling you choose, i have found it best to havethe filling as dry as possible.I add extremely fine/shaved raw cabbage for the crunch but dont normally cook it beforehand.

Like motorbo; I too, spray with oil, and bake in the oven. Better than deep frying!Turn once.

Serve with tasty but thin dipping sauces.

gerry64, Sep 21, 12:38pm
I had a go at them tonight - thought I would hedge my bets by not going raw or cooked - so did as one recipe I found and put salt on the cabbage and then squeezed the liquid out - next time I will just chop it fine and leave it raw - I baked them - they went down a treat but the pot sticker dumplings were more of a hit = cheers everyone for your help