"spice" - mixed or allspice.

sunshine78, Sep 25, 2:06am
Ok, this is probably a very naiive question, but when a recipe calls for 1/2 t spice (old old casserole recipe) do I use mixed spice or allspice and what's the difference!Thanks.

cookessentials, Sep 25, 2:12am
Mixed spice more than likely. it is a combination of various spice.
Allspice is the dried, unripe berry of a pimento tree. It is available ground or in seed form, and used in a variety of dishes such as pickles, casseroles, cakes and puddings.

Mixed spice is a classic mixture generally containing caraway, allspice, coriander, cumin, nutmeg and ginger, although cinnamon and other spices can be added. It is used with fruit and in cakes.

Five-spice powder is a blend of star anise, cinnamon, cloves, fennel and Szechuan pepper. Available from most supermarkets or Asian food stores, it is used in Chinese cookery

245sam, Sep 25, 2:23am
sunshine78, IMO not a naive question at all - no question is naive or silly if one is not sure of something.cookessentials has very nicely explained the difference between the can-be very confusing spices but IMO, especially as your recipe is an "old old casserole recipe", the spice to use would be mixed spice which is most commonly used for baking cakes, etc. but does and can also have savoury uses as well (e.g. your casserole recipe and the older cooks/recipes often referred to mixed spice as simply "spice").:-))

sunshine78, Sep 25, 2:39am
Thank you both so much! Have amended the recipe so I'll never have to second guess myself again.