Scones

gscas, Apr 2, 7:45am
Yes I have tired making savouru scones but mine always taste bitter to me, the family think they are great, definelty the baking powder I can taste, any good recipes I should try!

Yep, but commercially made baking powder also contains stabilizers that leave a bitter taste - some people can pick it up, others can't.[/quote]

autumnwinds, Apr 2, 7:57am
this - grab a box of disposable ones from your local $2 shop.
Very useful to have in the kitchen, for lots of reasons

figjamto, Apr 2, 8:12am
+ I
Love these scones, alway work out

lilyfield, Apr 2, 9:12am
that recipe adds more than 2 dollars to the cost. wow!

caroob, Sep 25, 8:56am
Please help, I need an easy never fail recipe for scones.One where the mixture doesn't end up all over your hands.

lilyfield, Sep 25, 9:05am
All cooks get sticky hands sooner or later. Get used to it.

ange164, Sep 25, 9:08am
Indeed, you will have to get your hands at least a bit mucky. Have a sink of warm soapy water run so you're ready to wash hands after the mucky bit,before you start mixing. And put flour on your dry hands to help stop the mix from sticking so bad when you pat out the dough.

IDIOT PROOF SCONES.
Melt 50gms butter in a microwave jug. Let cool a little and break 1 egg into it and top up with milk to = approx 1 3/4 cups liquid. Mix well with a fork. Add by mixing with a knife to 3 large cups self raising flour. Bake 230 for 10 mins. You can add a bit of sugar and fruit or cheese or whatever you feel like.
posted by Subo

annie.nz, Sep 26, 1:08am
Do you have a food processor!I made scones every week for ages by hand then switched to making them in a food processor, it's the bees knees, and the scones are actually better.If you use too much mix for the size of the processor bowl you might have to turn the mix out onto a floured bench and pull together by hand, but that still won't involve a lot of stickiness.

This is my recipe - a trial-and-error job I developed over time: Into processor bowl put: 2c flour, 3 tbsp sugar, 2 tsp cream of tartar and 1 tsp baking soda (gives a better taste than baking powder), 1/2 tsp salt.Whizz with cutting blade a bit to mix.Toss in 30g butter sliced into little sticks and process till no bits bigger than about a pea are left.If you want cheese scones, add 1 to 1.5 c grated cheese with the butter.(Grate the cheese with the processor first).With processor running, dump in 0.75c milk and process till dough is coherent.Don't overdo it, dough lumps strain the processor a bit.

Turn out onto a big dinner plate and and pull together into a nice dough, knead 5-6 times till the dough just begins to show signs of fighting back when you poke it with a finger.Pat out into a flat rectangle as high as you want your scones to be (scones don't rise much).Your hands should still be pretty much nonsticky.Then either quickly brush the top with milk, or slop some on top and spread out with your hand, which I do.Cut with very sharp serrated knife into 6 big scones or 8 smaller.
220 deg no fan 8 mins, then 200 deg w fan 7 mins.

Note:flours vary in moisture content and the ability to absorb moisture, so you may need to add up to a couple of tbsp extra milk if the dough won't form.No worries, the scones still come out fine.

annie.nz, Sep 26, 1:08am
Do you have a food processor!I made scones every week for ages by hand then switched to making them in a food processor, it's the bees knees, and the scones are actually better.If you use too much mix for the size of the processor bowl you might have to turn the mix out onto a floured bench and pull together by hand, but that still won't involve a lot of stickiness.

This is my recipe - a trial-and-error job I developed over time: Into processor bowl put: 2c flour, 3 tbsp sugar, 2 tsp cream of tartar and 1 tsp baking soda (gives a better taste than baking powder), 1/2 tsp salt.Whizz with cutting blade a bit to mix.Toss in 30g butter sliced into little sticks and process till no bits bigger than about a pea are left.If you want cheese scones, add 1 to 1.5 c grated cheese with the butter.(Grate the cheese with the processor first).With processor running, dump in 0.75c milk and process till dough is coherent.Don't overdo it, dough lumps strain the processor a bit.

Turn out onto a big dinner plate and and pull together into a nice dough, knead 5-6 times till the dough just begins to show signs of fighting back when you poke it with a finger.Pat out into a flat rectangle as high as you want your scones to be (scones don't rise much).Your hands should still nonsticky at this stage.Then either quickly brush the top with milk, or slop some on top and spread out with your hand, which I do.Cut with very sharp serrated knife into 6 big scones or 8 smaller.Or pull apart with hands.
220 deg no fan 8 mins, then 200 deg w fan 7 mins.

Note:flours vary in moisture content and the ability to absorb moisture, so you may need to add up to a couple of tbsp extra milk if the dough won't form.No worries, the scones still come out fine.

And you can always wear latex gloves if even this is more than you can face, sticky-hands wise.

carega1, Sep 26, 3:00am
easy peasy scones.
6 cups flour
6 tsp baking powder
rub in alot of butter til the flour looks yellow
throw in raisons for sweetness or whatever you crave
gradually mix in 4 cups of water in centre of bowl
mix lightly
spray trays
spoon feed mixture into trays
180 degrees for 15-20 mins
yummy

angie117, Sep 26, 4:17am
Idiot proof scones are the best, so easy and come out perfect every time.

angel404, Sep 26, 5:51am
I always wear gloves when im making scones coz i hate the mixture getting under my nails lol

gardie, Sep 26, 8:01am
And nice sticky scones mean nice moist scones.Worth sticky fingers.

macandrosie, Sep 27, 2:43am
If your mixture isn't too damp - when you've finished kneading, rolling or whatever, rub your hands together over the sink, don't put under water, you get more mixture off when it's drier than if you wet them to clean them!

winnie231, Sep 27, 2:58am
Grate the butter in then add your liquid & stir with a knife . no mucky hands.
Tip the dough out onto a floured bench and lightly pat together with floured hands . again no mucky hands.
At least - that's how I do it .

shop_tiludrop, Sep 27, 6:08am
Check out Jo Seagers Scone Recipe.

irenew, Sep 27, 10:30am
The recipe in the Edmonds Cook Book is great and very easy.A trick I've learnt is not to over mix them, and don't make the batter too dry.Sadly now that I'm gluten intolerant my scones turn out beautifully.When I was younger and could eat them they were like rock cakes!

rakki1, Sep 29, 10:14am
These I seem to recall are Jo Seagar's scones.
4 Cups Self raising Flour
1 Can Lemonade
1 bottle Cream
1/2 tsp salt
Pre Heat Oven to 220C
Sift flour and salt. Add cream and lemonade. Gently fold in with knife. Pat out as in scone dough, Cut into squares and bake for 15 mins approx. Can add dried fruit etc if required.

My grandma told me mixing with a knife is important so your hands don't warm up and activate the baking powder too soon.

ngacooky, Sep 29, 10:30am
i always use the edmonds recipe as well.
the trick to scones is not to kneed them when you tip them out on the bench. when you put them on the bench just flatten alittle with the palm of your hand

lythande1, Sep 29, 7:50pm
Baking powder is a blend of acid cream of tartar and sodium bicarbonate known commonly as baking soda.

annie.nz, Oct 2, 2:55am
Yep, but commercially made baking powder also contains stabilizers that leave a bitter taste - some people can pick it up, others can't.