Advice please on 'Gran Polenta Express'

imtully, Sep 11, 12:16am
I have just discovered an unopened box in my larder and was keen to give it a go for the first time ever but see the dreaded 'best before date' says 15-04-2010!
It says on the box the ingredients are just cooked corn flour and is in a totally sealed packet, so is it likely to be ok!
Any ideas on what to serve it with would be really helpful too.cheers

davidt4, Sep 11, 12:24am
It's probably okay but, given that pantry moth eggs can lie dormant for ages then come to life, it might be wise to open the packet and leave it for a few days to see whether or not it is infested.

Polenta is served in Italy with a rich meaty ragu.

245sam, Sep 11, 12:27am
imtully, IMO your polenta is most likely ok - you should be able to tell by looking at and smelling it.I would think it's unlikely but keep an eye out for any sign of weevils.
Does your packet have cooking instructions!If not you might like to try this from an earlier thread.
"Jo Seagars recipe is tops. I get my instant polenta from the couscous area in New World and here is how Jo makes it.800 ml milk, 200 ml cream, 1tsp sea salt, 1 tsp gr wh pepper, 1 cup instant polenta, 1 cup grated parmesan, 50 g butter.
Heat milk and cream together until just about to boil.Add salt and pepper and pour in polenta while you stir continuously. Continue stirring as it thickens. Reduce the heat and keep stirring for 3 - 4 mins. Add parmesan and butter and stir til melted and it looks like porrige! Yum
Leftovers can be poured into a pan to set, cut into wedges and panfried until golden, even yummier!. Thanks to Jo Seagar
Quotejennyp2 (220 )9:48 pm, Tue 10 Jan #10"

Hope that helps.:-))

imtully, Sep 11, 2:06am
Thanks guys - I have left over meaty ragu in the freezer so will be an easy supper tonight. If successful then I will try Jo Seagar recipe another day as sounds yum! Cheers