Shin of beef

kiwiscrapper1, Sep 10, 8:39pm
Cleaning out the freezer and found a peice of shin on the bone, obviously had a recipe but not sure what I was going to do with it, any ideas how I can cook please! I think I used to add with a bacon hock for soup! TIA

rainrain1, Sep 10, 8:49pm
slow oven roast on top of a bed of chopped onions

toadfish, Sep 11, 2:03am
Toadies Aunty B's Osso Buco & Vegetable Soup. Just Beautiful!

500gms shin of beef cut into 3cm peices
1 Onion Sliced
425gm can chopped tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried oregano
300gms Potatoes cubed
3/4 Cup Pearl barley
2 T od Olive oil
1-2 tsp crushed garlic
1 T Tomato paste
6 cups beef stock
300gms Pumpkin cubed
200 gms Zuchinni sliced

Slice the meat, and heat the oil in a good sized pan and brown the meat in batches until a nice brown. drain on a paper towel. Cook the onion in the pan, for about 4 mins on a low heat add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the meat, tomatoes, tomatoe paste, oregano, stock, potato & pumpkin.
Wash Barley till water runs clear, then drain it and add it to the pan, bring to the boil, and simmer covered for 25 mins. Add the zuchinni and keep cooking till the barley is cooked

Note from Aunty B. I usually use campbells stock, but you can use homemade or maggi stock powder and water.

karenz, Sep 11, 2:22am
Could make plain Osso Buco, toss meat in seasoned flour and brown in oil, then lightly cook onions, garlic, diced carrots and celery, put meat back in and add a splash of wine, tip in tin of tomatoes, peel from one lemon, oregano and basil and slow cook in heavy pan on oven top or put in a casserole dish in the oven. Serve over pasta, rice or mashed potatoes.Traditionally a finely chopped garlic, grated lemon rind and finely chopped parsley mix is sprinkled over the top.