Left over lamb - what to do with it for tonight?

jaygee1962, Sep 10, 1:09am
Inspiration/ideas please.Could do shepherds or cottage pie but what else can I do with it!:)

245sam, Sep 10, 1:21am
SWEET AND SOUR MEAT IN BATTER
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 egg
approximately ¾ cup milk

Make a smooth batter with the flour, baking powder, egg and milk.Leave the batter to stand whilst preparing the
Sauce:
2 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 green capsicum, chopped
2 tbsp each ofsugarandtomato sauce
1 tbsp each ofsoy sauceandvinegar
½ tsp chopped root ginger
1 small can pineapple, drained and the juice reserved
cornflour

Heat the oil, then add the onion, carrot and capsicum.Cook for 1 minute.Add the remaining ingredients, except the reserved juice and cornflour.Bring to the boil, then thicken the sauce with cornflour blended with the reserved juice.
Cut leftover meat into 6mm (¼") thick slices and dip the slices in the batter, then fry them in hot oil.Pour the sauce over the meat to serve.:-))

245sam, Sep 10, 1:21am
SWEET AND SOUR MEAT IN BATTER
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 egg
approximately ¾ cup milk

Make a smooth batter with the flour, baking powder, egg and milk.Leave the batter to stand whilst preparing the
Sauce:
2 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 green capsicum, chopped
2 tbsp each ofsugarandtomato sauce
1 tbsp each ofsoy sauceandvinegar
½ tsp chopped root ginger
1 small can pineapple, drained and the juice reserved
cornflour

Heat the oil, then add the onion, carrot and capsicum.Cook for 1 minute.Add the remaining ingredients, except the reserved juice and cornflour.Bring to the boil, then thicken the sauce with cornflour blended with the reserved juice.
Cut leftover meat (any) into 6mm (¼") thick slices and dip the slices in the batter, then fry them in hot oil.Pour the sauce over the meat to serve.:-))

245sam, Sep 10, 1:24am
From the former Trademe Cooks:

"Lamb Rissoles
I made Lamb Rissoles the other night with left over Roasted Lamb I thought you could mince or process the meat with onion, parsley and some chutney or flavourful sauce (add chilli sauce maybe) and mix it into mashed potatoes or a combo of Potato and Kumera. Then make into rissoles/patties and press into Oat Bran, Breadcrumbs, Crushed Weetbix etc. before frying in shallow oil until heated right through and crispy browned on the outsides. I sometimes add grated carrot etc as I feel like.
posted by rog.e

I make rissoles with mine. Mince the meat in small lots in food processer or finely chop.Add chopped or mince onion, some fresh herbs or a pinch of dried mixed herbs any vegies you want to disguise again all thru the processor a slice or 2 of bread or breadcrumbs an egg to combine and I use some tomato and or worcester sauce for flavour and salt and peper to taste. Roll into tennis ball size, flatten and either fry or bake. Serve as humburgers or with vegies or salad.
posted by cqvl

Left Over Lamb Rissoles
mince or whizz meat, add mashed potatoes, chopped onion, & parsley, 1 or 2 eggs, splash tomato sauce, form in patties, dust with flour & fry in a little butter & oil til heated thru & brown.Makes meat go a long way posted by granniemary

this can be done with any roast meat. Layer slices of lamb in a casserole dish with thinly sliced potato or kumara,or both!, onion rings,a sprinkle of mixed herbs and a tin of chopped tomatoes.Make up some Bisto gravy and pour over the top. Bake at 180 till vege are soft. Also a squeeze of mint sauce into the gravy can make it even tastier. Make sure that you do alternate layers rather than all the meat at the bottom. I put in some sliced meat,layer with onion rings and sliced potato and a sprinkle of herbs,then repeat.Lastly add a layer of potato or kumara.Season well and then tip tomatoes over,letting them seep between the layers and then the gravy.
posted by brianmac

Lamb Hash
Similar to Corned Beef Hash and especially useful if you also have left over potatoes, kumara and gravy. Use two parts potato and/or kumara, cooked and diced, 1 part cooked lamb or mutton, diced, one part onion, finely chopped, a couple of cloves of garlic. Fry the onion and garlic in a little oil until soft, add the meat and veges and cook gently for about 20 min, turning over frequently. Add salt and pepper, lots of chopped parsley, chives or marjoram, gravy if you have it, otherwise a little cream, a good shake of Worcester sauce. Cook over med. heat a further 10 min, turn over gently a few times. It should end up browned on the bottom. You can also add some finely shredded cabbage with the onion (Lamb Bubble & Squeak), or serve it with a poached egg on top.
posted by davidt4

Curry Puffs
3/4C flour, 1/2t baking powder, 1/2t curry powder, 1/4t lemon pepper, 1/4t salt, 1/8t pepper, 1 onion chopped, 1T parsley chopped, 1 egg, 1/2C water, 1C minced cold cooked meat such as lamb. Sift dry ingreds, add onion & parsley. Separate egg, add yolk to water, combine. Gradually add to dry ingreds. Stir in meat. Beat white till stiff & fold in. Drop spoonfuls into hot oil & fry like a fritter. Really nice.
posted by donald6

Lamb curry
I do this the next night after the roast. In a little butter or oil saute some onion, add some grated carrot and apple. A tblsp of plum jam (optional). Stir in some curry powder, you may have to add a little water at this stage. Handful of saltanas. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add your left over gravy and the diced up cooked lamb. Taste for salt and pepper. This is so simple. Serve with rice. Add any left over roast diced vegetables if you wish. Enjoy.
posted by susieq9":-))

geldof, Sep 10, 1:25am
Curry
goulash

245sam, Sep 10, 1:26am
continued from#3.

"Barbecued Leftover Lamb
Use leftover lamb in this dish, served over mashed potatoes or hot cooked rice. INGREDIENTS: 1 cup chopped onion, about 1 large onion 2 tablespoons oil 1/2 cup tomato sauce 1/2 cup water 1 tablespoon brown sugar 1 tablespoon vinegar 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper dash ground cayenne pepper 2 cups cubed roast leftover lamb - PREPARATION: Sauté onion in skillet over medium heat in oil until softened. Add tomato sauce, water, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and black and cayenne peppers. Cook mixture over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add leftover lamb; cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve barbecued lamb over hot cooked rice or mashed potatoes. Barbecued leftover lamb serves 4.
posted by theeyeshaveit":-))

fifie, Sep 10, 1:28am
Slice a couple of red onions and fry gently in butter or olive oil until golden brown. Add cooked potatoes, kumara or other root veges, sliced red capsicum, some black olives, some capers if you have them, a few tomatoes sliced. Heat gently and meanwhile cut the leftover lamb into small chunks. Add the lamb to the pan, plenty of salt and pepper, toss until the lamb is heated through. Serve hot with plenty of freshly chopped parsley or basil, accompany with a green salad.

This works very well with cooked chicken as well. davidt4

jaygee1962, Sep 10, 3:56am
Oh my, some great ideas there - thanks!

I'll have to do another roast next weekend so I can try some more.

liamjosh, Sep 10, 4:24am
Yum, ahepherd's pie. Love it.Can't do cottage pie as that is made with beef. My little bit of trivia for the day :-)