Any gluten free people here? would you eat a

scannell2, Sep 4, 3:32am
pumpkin soup for lunch or is that a no no for gluten free people! sorry if that sounds a bit of a dumb question but i have a friend coming over tomorrow and would like to offer her some lunch but arent visiting asupermarket before then and only have rice crackers and cheese to offer her which isnt very much. i know she eats rice but not sure what i could do with other then sushi and not sure if she likes sushi.thanks in advance

245sam, Sep 4, 3:52am
scannell2, I'm not gluten free but I think I can offer you some help you with your soup question.
Whether or not pumpkin soup is ok for your GF friend depends on what is in your soup, other than the obvious - pumpkin, e.g. does it have any thickening such as flour or wheaten cornflour or flavouring (e.g. stock powder) that is not gluten free! - gluten is in so many products.

I suggest that you try doing a search here on the MB using gluten free as the Keywords and Last year as the Date posted option - hopefully you'll find some ideas there that will allow you to make a delicious and suitable lunch for your friend with whatever you have on hand.:-))

scannell2, Sep 4, 4:05am
thanks it does have stock powder in it but i maybe able to adjust. thanks

245sam, Sep 4, 4:25am
scannell2, would you like to share your soup recipe and hopefully someone who IS GF can at a glance tell you how suitable your soup would be as a GF option for your friend.My understanding is that being truly GF means having to avoid absolutely anything that is grain (wheat, oats, etc.) or has a grain origin so even items such as most vinegars are unsuitable.:-))

annie.nz, Sep 4, 8:41pm
The lengths you need to go to depends to some extent to whether or not your friend has coeliac disease.If she does, then you need to avoid all traces of gluten to avoid making her significantly unwell.

If she is just gluten intolerant on the other hand, very small amounts such as in stock or vinegar won't do any harm.

pommyjohn1, Sep 4, 8:44pm
Pumpkin soup is usually not GFtomato soup is normally a safer option

glenn-ellyn, Sep 5, 8:37am
I make my pumpkin soup GF by making the chicken stock from chicken carcases. Works for me.

irenew, Sep 5, 8:50am
I'm gluten intolerant and make pumpkin soup all the time.I just use pumpkin, onion, potatio, gluten free stock cubes, cumin and coriander (ground curry often contains gluten), and sometimes some coconut cream.There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to prepare this for your guest. Obviously they won't be able to eat normal bread with it, but rice crackers are fine, or if you can get some gluten free bread I know they'd be really grateful.