oh! so many different kinds of rice at binn inn

cloffie, Apr 17, 9:20am
L love pottering around in the Binn Inn always on the look out for something new and healthy. Wow there are so many different kinds of rice ! whatrecipesdo you use them in ? I always have brown rice and Basmati. . but would be keen on trying the others as well if I knew what to do with them!

cookessentials, Apr 17, 9:39am
I use Basmati mainly because I like it's nice nutty flavour. I use jasmine rice also which is beautiful with Imam Bayeldi which is a Turkish stuffed eggplant dish I do and I use a short grain ( when I can find it) for creamy rice puddings.

elliehen, Apr 17, 9:51am
cloffie, if you click on this link you'll find a list of the different types of rice and what to do with each.

http://www.ricegourmet.com/About_RiceTypes.htm

calista, Apr 17, 8:00pm
Basmati is one of the best if you're diabetic (low GI) and jasmine is the worst, for the opposite reason.

I have used sushi rice for rice pudding as it was the only short grain I could find at the time.

Elliehen that link looks as tough it could be useful - thanks.

calista, Apr 17, 8:21pm
"As though" - amazing the difference a letter makes.

Following up on ellie's link - does anyone soak rice overnight? I never have.

turksta3, Apr 17, 11:06pm
glutinous rice is used for puddings, short rice is best for sushi and you can get a jasmine flavored rice, i use basmati when ever we have rice, nice fluffy rice that goes great for curry's

cloffie, Feb 11, 6:00pm
thank you Elliehen that is so helpful ! Calista I am a type 2 diabetic and Basmati has always been my favourite rice . . l , like you Cookessentials love its nutty flavour