Recipe for

logansrun93, Sep 8, 1:34am
So i have a nuts eg: cashews, almonds, raw peanuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and afew other seeds, raisins.I want to toast these in the oven with a type of sweet, or savoury coating.

eg: maple syrup! cumin! etc what else can I add and how long to toast /roast for! Thanks

245sam, Sep 8, 1:40am
something like this logansrun93!

"Here's a basic recipe for sugared nuts. The coating is crunchy and sugary rather than a shiny glaze.

Sugared Nuts

210g whole nuts
1 egg white
¼ c sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
50g butter, melted & cooled

Roast nuts 180C 6 min.

Whip egg white, whip in sugar, cinnamon & salt. Whip in butter. Mix with nuts.

Roast 160C 30 min, stirring often. Cool in a rack or on a sheet of baking paper.

Quotedavidt4 (193 )11:35 am, Sun 26 Aug #5":-))

logansrun93, Sep 8, 1:52am
Yes ideas like yours is great! I want to mix all the above together with a coating, toast, cool and spend the day & night snacking on it LOL

daisyhill, Sep 8, 2:48am
That reminds me of a recipe I have in my "to try" list but haven't tried yet. Not sure where I got it from - could well have been from here.

Alison Holst recipe similar to Birdseed Bar.

1 cup Sunflower Seeds
½ cup Pumpkin Seeds
½ cup Cashews or Almonds
½ cup Coconut
½ cup Sultanas
100g butter
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup honey

Toast the seeds, nuts and coconut (which browns fastest) separately until lightly coloured. When prepared, mix with sultanas in a large bowl.

Heat the butter, brown sugar and honey over moderate heat in a medium-sized pot or pan, until a little dropped in cold water forms a definite ball, and does not flatten on the bottom of the container. (Do not overcook or bars will be too hard. If uncooked, bars to do not firm up when cold).

Stir together the hot honey mixture and the seeds etc. in the bowl or pan, whichever is more convenient. Press the warm mixture into 12 oiled gem irons, 12 muffin pans, or into part of a sponge-roll pan, making it as deep as you like. When cold and firm, remove from containers and put into bars or smaller pieces if desired.

Like toffee, these bars soften on standing if not kept in an airtight container or wrapped individually in cling film.