Vegetarian ideas?

pom4, Sep 8, 12:35am
My sons girlfriend is coming for dinner she is vegetarian and I have no idea what to cook. I dont wanna go to 2 much trouble, any suggestions!

tjman, Sep 8, 12:55am
Mac and cauliflower cheeseit's yummy and you can all eat it.

pom4, Sep 8, 12:57am
I hate macaroni, maybe a vegetarian quiche and salad! anyone got an easy recipe for the quiche!

shellz213, Sep 8, 1:03am
I would be inclined to maybe do something like stuffed mushrooms with lots of vege on the side or maybe even a couple of different salads - a roasted vege salad!

Or how about a vege lasange!Yum.Actually I would probably do that.

carlosjackal, Sep 8, 1:06am
Vegetable Lasagne

shellz213, Sep 8, 1:08am
An easy peasy recipe for a quiche.

Whisk together
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup self raising flour
salt and pepper

Then add
1/2 cup grated cheese
1 chopped onion

Add any veges you like

Pour into flan dish and bake at 180C for approx 45 minutes.

245sam, Sep 8, 1:16am
"Spinach Quiche - don't run screaming!
It is really like a deep quiche, and you can't even taste the spinach. It looks lovely and marbled with green - so much so my neice & nephew have renamed it Frog Pie: A good way to eat spinach without noticing. You can add any veges you have: mushroom, broccoli (cook first) or throw in frozen corn or whole cherry tomatoes. The recipe makes a big pie/quiche, but that’s good, because it tastes even better the next day, cold or reheated. 4 eggs 60gms melted butter (optional) 2 cups milk 1/2 cup flour 1/2 tsp baking powder (or use self-raising flour) 1 cup grated tasty cheese (or use lesser amounts of blue or feta) 1 bag spinach, stalks trimmed, cooked & drained Salt & Pepper Preheat oven to 200*C. Whisk eggs, butter and milk together. Pour into combined remaining ingredients. Pour into greased 23cm pie dish or casserole dish, bake for about 45mins until golden brown and puffy.
posted by raevah"

pom4, the above recipe from the former Trademe Cooks is nice and very easy to make however I have modified the mixing method as follows:

This is my method that produces IMO, a better result - ingredients are as in the recipe above except that instead of self-raising flour I use
½ cup plain flour + ½ tsp cream of tartar + ¼ tsp baking soda:-

Whisk the eggs, butter and milk together.
Gently mix the spinach and cheese – if using blue or feta, crumble the cheese, leaving the pieces of a reasonably big size.
Into a large bowl sift the flour, cream of tartar and baking soda.Gently and gradually mix in the beaten egg mixture, then stir in the combined spinach and cheese, and mix as little as possible.Pour the mixture into a greased 23cm pie dish or casserole dish.Top with the pine nuts.
Bake at200°Cforabout 45 minutes, until golden brown and puffy.
Serve the quiche hot, warm, cold or reheated – it’s just as good, if not better, the day after it’s made.

Hope that helps.:-))

pom4, Sep 8, 3:01am
thanks so much, im actually looking forward to making it now!

pom4, Sep 8, 3:27am
a vege lasagne recipe would be handy if anyone would like to post one

davidt4, Sep 8, 3:29am
There's a vege lasagne recipe recently posted in the Masterchef Australia thread.

245sam, Sep 8, 3:44am
From "The easy and tasty vegetarian recipe thread".

"Vegetarian Lasagna
500g Fresh Spinach lasagne sheets
½ cup fresh basil leaves coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons pine nuts
2 teaspoons paprika
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan

Ricotta Filling;
750g ricotta
½ cup grated Parmesan
Pinch of nutmeg

Tomato sauce;
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
800 g (or 2 cans) crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste

Bechamel sauce;
60g butter
½ cup plain flour
2 cups milk
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/3 cup grated Parmesan.

Lightly grease a 25 x 32 cm baking dish.
Cut pasta sheets into large pieces and cook a couple at a time in boiling water for 3 minutes.
Drain and spread on damp tea towels until needed.
Ricotta filling, put ricotta and Parmesan cheeses and nutmeg in a bowl and mix together well.
Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Tomato sauce, heat oil in a frying pan, add onion and cook for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally until very soft.
Add garlic and cook a minute more.
Add the tomatoes and paste, stir well until well combined.
Stir constantly over heat until the mixture comes to the boil.
Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
Bechamel Sauce, heat butter in small pan.
When starting to foam, add flour and stir for 3 minutes or until just coloured.
Remove from heat, add milk gradually stirring after each addition, then return to heat and stir until sauce boils and thickens.
Remove from heat, and stir in the eggs.
Return to moderate heat and stir until almost boiling, but do not boil.
Add the cheese and season to taste.
Put plastic wrap onto the surface to prevent skin forming.
Preheat oven to 200c.
Put a layer of lasagne sheets in the dish.
Spread a third of the ricotta filling, sprinkle with basil, then top with a third of tomato sauce.
Repeat the layers, finishing with a pasta layer.
Pour over the Bechamel sauce, spread until smooth, then sprinkle with the combined breadcrumbs, pine nuts, paprika and Parmesan.
Bake for 45 minutes or until browned.
Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Edited to add variation.
Instead of using Spinach pasta sheets, one can use normal Pasta sheets and then a very thin layer of slightly wilted (partly steamed) fresh Spinach, or silver beet leaves.
Edited by valentino at 11:54 am, Fri 30 Mar
Quotevalentino (520 )11:41 am, Fri 30 Mar #444":-))