Cheese making help please

spuddybuddy, Sep 8, 9:09pm
I have just tried to make a batch of cottage cheese the cows have started producing again so I use fresh raw milk.I have made it sucessfully a couple of times before.My problem is my curd have not seperated,it has been sitting a couple of hours.Could my milk have been too fresh!

angel404, Sep 8, 10:11pm
Hey spuddy Ive not made any cottage cheese (only feta and cream cheese) and my curds always separate no problems - even using fresh milk straight from the vat. Did you pasteurize the milk first!

vmax2, Sep 8, 10:32pm
I have sometimes had the curd not forming for a bit.Just leave it and check back on it in an hour or two.It will form.Things to consider is the temperature of the milk, was it correct and did you have the correct amount of rennet to milk in there to form the curd.

harrislucinda, Sep 8, 11:07pm
yesdidyou havetherightamountof juiceorvinegartocurdthemilkmyrecipesays1.5ltmilkand2.5tlbsplemonjuicethis shouldcurdstraightaway
thenputin aclothtodrainfor10 min
canusestraightaway

spuddybuddy, Sep 9, 4:00am
Hmmm, I heated my milk to 85 deg (maybe too hot!)and used 3 tbsp of lemon juice for 2 ltrs. (! could of been the lemons,there were some lemonades at the bottom of the bag and I may have grabbed one by mistake)will get some more milk from the shed in the morning and have another go.

harrislucinda, Sep 9, 5:08am
yes85degseemtohotwhenimakecheeseandbringinstraightfrom theshedidontevenneedtoheatasstillwarm

davidt4, Sep 9, 5:53am
Do you mean 85 degrees Celsius!That's extremely hot.85 degrees Fahrenheit converts to 30 degrees Celcius, which is quite low for curds to form.35 - 37 degrees Celsius is the recommended temperature range.

harrislucinda, Sep 9, 10:06am
makingcheesesallhavedifferenttempaccordingto mybooks

angel404, Sep 9, 10:22am
Yeah that is too hot. My book says about 63 degrees celsius. I don't bother pasteurizing my milk and so far so good!