Stainless steel or copper pot

rover79, Sep 3, 5:30am
Where would I find a good assortment of sizes!
I need one that will fit my chip basket, partner says I can't use aluminium on the new ceramic hob.
Have been to briscoes and they were too deep and not wide enough.
I need something about 22 to 23cm x 10cm deep maximum.
Don't mind buying a whole new basket and pot if I need to but can't find who sells them.

daisyhill, Sep 3, 11:41am
I don't understand the question. Are you asking if you should buy a copper saucepan to do deep-frying in! That seems like overkill to me, and I'm sure it would be far cheaper to just buy an electric deep fryer. Or are you just looking for an ordinary saucepan with certain dimensions and for whatever reason can't find one!

shop-a-holic, Sep 3, 12:52pm
Stainless steel deflects heat, and copper is the second best conductor of heat.next to silver, of course.

I advise looking for the best pots for a ceramic hob. Once you've decided on the pot for your hob, you can then look at the sizes they come in to accommodate the requirement of deep frying and to fit a basket.etc.

rover79, Sep 3, 1:34pm
Yes I want to buy a stainless or copper pot.
I don't want an electric deep fryer, have had them before and preferthings deep fried in a pot 90 to 100mm deep on the stove.
And yes I can't find who would sell them.

rover79, Sep 4, 1:11am
cheers valintino,
The first 3 arn't sizes I could consider, Will keep an eye on the last one though, the second pot is the right height and width.

valentino, Sep 4, 1:51am
Would not muck around with these, they are like "Hens Teeth" these days, people are not fully aware of the value these are in longetivity nor the use they can be put up with.

For example, the fry pan is used very constantly, frying, cooking, even a number of burnings - yet it still comes up clean as a whistle everytime.

So personally, if it looks as though it is what you are after (that other pot) then just go for it by going "Buy now".

Editing to add that the frypan can be onsold if need be but best to keep it.

Cheers.

valentino, Sep 4, 2:11am
To emphasise the post above further, I would personally never recommend anything to anyone else unless I know for certain that it is genuinely as per noted.

Hopes this helps with your descision making.

Editing to add that this brand name "Murrays" was the top brand when these were originally available. I paid $30 for a brand new set of 3 saucepans, fry pan and their lids in the 1970, I would now pay more than treble that plus if they were still available today. $30 in those days was more than half of week take home wages.

Cheers

auzzi, Sep 4, 11:20pm
Ceramic cooktops can be either electric or induction.

You can't use aluminium on induction: copper does not work unless it has a bonded base ie copper plus stainless steel

Induction Ceramic cooktops require solid cast iron, carbon steel or stainless steel cookware.

Ordinary electric ceramic cooktops take any type of cookware: glass, aluminium , iron, steel or copper ..