Mince, will it be OK

mattdylan, Sep 2, 11:48pm
I took mince out of the freezer last Friday, and put in fridge, will it still be OK to eat today! thanks

datoofairy, Sep 2, 11:50pm
If it was defrosted in the fridge, I'd eat it. If it was defrosted on a warm bench and then put in the fridge, I'd give it a good sniff test first and probably not eat it.

mattdylan, Sep 2, 11:52pm
fab thanks, I did actually drefrost it in the cupboard then put in fridge, will do a smell test tonight!

245sam, Sep 2, 11:53pm
mattdylan, I'm assuming that the mince is raw!
Whether or not the mince is ok will depend on how fresh the mince was when it was frozen, so IMO your best move would be to unwrap the mince and make a judgement based on the smell of the mince - your nose will give you a very good indication as to whether or not you should use that mince but if you do, then as always make sure that the mince is well and properly cooked.:-))

245sam, Sep 2, 11:53pm
mattdylan, I'm assuming that the mince is raw!
Whether or not the mince is ok will depend on how fresh the mince was when it was frozen, so IMO your best move would be to unwrap the mince and make a judgement based on the smell of the mince - your nose will give you a very good indication as to whether or not you should use that mince but if you do, then as always make sure that the mince is well and properly cooked.:-))

Edited to add my doubts re that mince still being ok - as datoofairy advised she would use it if the mince had been defrosted in the refrigerator, but with the mince having thawed "in the cupboard" I think the mince may have been around too long and mince does spoil so quickly compared to whole pieces of meat, however as you know mattdylan, the sniff test will let you know fairly conclusively if that mince should or should not be on your menu.:-))

mattdylan, Sep 3, 12:03am
great thanks 245sam :)

kuaka, Sep 3, 1:41am
or if you have a dog, offer some to him, if he turns his nose up and walks away, definitely biff it.