Pork roast experts

jussa, Aug 12, 4:23am
prepped my pork roast.
been in oven for 1.5 hours. at this time the crackling has bubbled.and looks devine, the pork is cooked right through and is white.
here is my dilemma. the crackling is hard. and the meat is tight. (not moist or soft, more tight and really white).
have i over cooked it or am i needing to leave it in there for longer (yanno how some meats soften if left longer). the last pork i made was so succulent and it was in there for like 3 hours. i duno why this one is different.

davidt4, Aug 12, 6:00am
It sounds as if your oven was too hot.Further cooking won't help, and all I can suggest is that you slice it thinly when you serve it, and make a copious amount of gravy or other sauce to serve with it.Apple sauce would be handy as well.

kinna54, Aug 12, 6:13am
I agree with david.Not a lot you can do now, but for future reference try this:
Score the pork rindwell in thin (as in narrow) lines right round, rub oil or margarine (I prefer margarine for pork) and salt well into the rind.
Into a preheated oven 220C *uncovered* for around 20mins, (depending upon the size of the cut of meat) to get the rind spitting and crackling and coloured. Remove from the oven, lower the oven temp to 160-180c and allow it to cool to that temp, then place the pork back into the oven and cook for 25-30mins per 500gms.
When returning the meat to the oven you can foil wrap or open oven bag it, keeping the rind exposed.
Always "rest" the meat before carving.
I have also noticed that some of the meat on the cuts of pork at the moment are very coarse, it pays to shop around for a nice cut.