Raspberry jam help please

joanne38, Aug 13, 12:50pm
i tried to make jam using a recipe from a edmonds book which basically said boil 3 to 5 mins, and jam will set over a few days, well its been a week and my trial jars are still runny as,
was it something i did wrong or is there another better no fail way of making jam that sets!
still have heaps of frozen raspberries.

shop-a-holic, Aug 13, 1:02pm
My raspberry jam takes anywhere between 8-10 minutes.You can't have it at a rapid boil because it will splash and burn.The pips stick and burn to the bottom of the pot, so, you do need to be able to stir it safely.

I also add a sachet of Kings Jam Setting Pectin mix and squeeze a slurp of lemon juice for good measure.This is for around 2kgs of fruit.

Just to add another confusing note, I use half the amount of sugar a recipe states, because I want to taste fruit and not sugar.That could be a major factor in a slower boil, and longer cooking.

lythande1, Aug 13, 8:16pm
A few days!! Boil your jam, then test a tsp on a saucer, when it cools tilt it, if it runs, keep boiling. If it doesn't it's set.

lythande1, Aug 13, 8:17pm
Don't need special ingredients, add juice of half a lemon to aid in setting.

wineo, Aug 13, 8:20pm
When I have made jam with frozen berries I do not put all the thawed out liquid into the pot. as it will not set, For the yet to be made jam only use enough liquid to stop from sticking to pot but do not discard until you have finished as sometimes it is too thick and you need to add more liquid,
good luck For the unset jam I would ake out of jars and mix with jam setting pectin and dash of lemon juice as shop-a-holic has suggested

joanne38, Aug 14, 12:58pm
thankyouwill have another go

whitehead., Aug 15, 1:25am
if you grate half an apple into your fruit it will set your jam and will not taste