Buttermilk scones

godstone, Aug 12, 2:44am
I saw recipes on this thread now I can't find them can anyone help pleaseI would like crunchy scones will buttermilk make them crunchy on the outside soft in the middle

winnie231, Aug 12, 2:49am
This is cookessentials recipe .

The only scone I make is a buttermilk scone which stays soft even the next day. I have copy and pasted this off our website for you. I make large scones, so it would make about 6-8 large ones. They are lovely with a good,fruity jam such as strawberry and softly whipped cream.

Buttermilk Scones.(Makes 16)
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.

Quote cookessentials (1202 )11:12 am, Mon 18 Apr #5

village.green, Aug 12, 7:34am
Check out Annabelle White's website, she has a video tutorial for Buttermilk Scones which is the scone recipe I use most.

bella95, Aug 13, 12:57pm
i've made a few batches of cookessentials recipe now. They're amazing!

denbru, Aug 19, 1:55am
If buttermilk is required in a recipe and you don't have any you can make your own. Add milk to 2 Tabs white vinegar to make 1 cup, stir and voila!

cookessentials, Aug 19, 3:26am
That's great to hear. They are the only ones I make now.

cookessentials, Aug 19, 3:27am
Or lemon juice.

spot20, Aug 19, 9:44pm
I to make Annabelle Whites recipe, I use 75g of butter and i just plop them on the tray with my fingers so they end up rough on top .crunchy and delish . i freeze a couple and reheat them in a cake tin covered with tin foil on the fire! The best scones