•1 cup sugar
•half a teaspoon salt
•5 tablespoons cooking oil (not olive)
•1 tablespoon vinegar
•1 teaspoon vanilla (best quality)
•1 cup cold water

Method

Serves: 10

1.Sift all the dry ingredients right in the greased 9x9x2 inch pan. Make three wells or grooves in the dry mixture. Into one, put the oil, the second put vinegar, in the third, put vanilla.
2.Pour the water over all and mix until nearly smooth and you can't see the flour- sort of like making mud pies. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. Cool and either ice it or eat as is. Delicious.

cookessentials, Aug 19, 7:04am
No, Cant say I have! I see that Nigella Lawson does one.

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/cockeyed-cake-chocolate-462

winnie231, Aug 20, 12:07am
This recipe for chocolate cake has many different names.
I have seen it called Goofy Cake, Crazy Cake, Impossible cake and now Cockeyed Cake :)
Whatever you want to call it - it's a nice easy recipe and makes a good cake.

daleaway, Aug 20, 12:37am
All that grooving business seems to be complicating things for the sake of it.
I have this recipe (in my notebook it's Dianne's Soggy Choc Cake 1972 !) and do it this way: Mix the liquids together in a jug and add to the dries.
Fewer chances of lumps if you do it in a normal bowl and then transfer to the tin you'll be cooking it in. It's a thin runny mixture and pours easily.

You can of course also do it with SR flour and no soda. The vinegar is optional.

I use it for emergencies as it is not a particularly tasty chocolate cake, having no eggs or butter flavour. But good when you need a cake in a hurry, and spread with jam and whipped cream it can look festive enough.