How many serves in a size 22 chicken

kateley, Aug 15, 11:36pm
I've got to cook a roast chicken meal for 12 people and size 22 are on special this week.
Would one chicken of that size be enough or should I get 2 smaller ones
(Don't think I could fit 2 large ones in my roasting pan)

mwood, Aug 16, 12:13am
Roast the chicken in advance then bone it out. Make a big gravy and reheat the meat in that. The bigger the chicken (22) the more meat there is in proportion to the bones. Therefore more meat on 1 big than 2 small.

kateley, Aug 16, 12:17am
It's a family gathering so a range of ages from teens to elderly.
Thanks for that link 245sam
That's a great idea mwood, too, thanks

245sam, Aug 16, 12:33am
You're welcome kateley.
I really recommend that you consider the Roast Chicken Casserole and it depends on whether or not your family really loves stuffing or would be happy with just the topping on the casserole, but if you're concerned about there not being sufficient stuffing, make additional stuffing and cook it separately e.g. as a foil-wrapped roll or in small or regular sized muffin or loaf pans.
I have used that recipe for Christmas turkey and made two additional stuffings, one with cranberries/craisins and the other with dried apricots, and all (the casserole + the stuffings) were very popular - I have recipes if you need/want them.:-))

kateley, Aug 16, 12:37am
thanks sam, we're not really into stuffing so that casserole idea sounds great - I might just buy a big bag of chicken pieces instead of whole chicken

245sam, Aug 16, 12:49am
Chicken pieces would be just as good, kateley, and remember that if, after you've made the gravy/sauce for the casserole, you have any leftover chicken cooking juices don't discard them, they'll be full of flavour and could be used for soups, sauces, etc. at some other time.:-))

sarahb5, Aug 16, 1:56am
We had a size 24 for dinner last Sunday, used it for pie on Monday and hubby has had it for sandwiches this week.There is still a bit left so that's probably served at least 12 portions.Of course, it depends what else you're serving with it, how greedy people are, etc.I'd say two size 22 chickens would be fine for 12 people or buy a turkey!

kateley, Aug 21, 3:06am
I did appreciate all your advice.The family dinner was last night.
Unfortunately, I came down with flu on Friday, so resorted to dial-a-pizza instead.
Will definitely keep all your advice for the next time