What to cook . what to cook .

jaxma, Aug 20, 5:01am
I have friends staying for a few nights and last night I cooked a pork roast with roast potatoes and green veggies . there is HEAPS of meat and potatoes left over (and I mean heaps).Does anyone have any brilliant suggestions on something I can do with them!I don't want my house guests to have the same meal two nights in a row, but I also don't want it to go to waste.I don't want to do a good-ole fry-up either though.

unknowndisorder, Aug 20, 5:22am
I've just bumped a thread about pork pie, and added a couple more recipes. Do a search using anytime, for left over and you will find more :)

davidt4, Aug 20, 5:37am
This is what I usually do with left over roasted meat.It is delicious, and the quantities very flexible.

2 large onions, sliced
2 tab butter or olive oil or duck fat
salt
500 - 800 g thoroughly cooked beef, pork, lamb, chicken or duck
equal quantity of cooked potato, kumara or pumpkin
2 c cooked leeks or Brussels sprouts or cabbage
1 c black olives
big bunch of parsley, finely chopped

In a large frying pan over lowish heat cook the onions in the fat with salt for about 30 minutes until caramelised.Meanwhile cut the meat and vegetables into small pieces (not chopped, but very small).

When the onions are brown add the meat and vegetable and combine well.Add olives.Cook over moderate heat fro about 20 minutes until very hot and starting to brown in parts.Check seasoning, add parsley and serve with a big green salad.

kinna54, Aug 20, 6:10am
Also if the meat is cooked it can be sliced and frozen for use in sandwiches.
You can also freeze complete plated meals if any veg are left over.
Another one is mincing the meat into rissoles.

darlingmole, Aug 20, 6:13am
I would have used them (left over veges) in a frittata and served with coleslaw or salad

lythande1, Aug 20, 8:16pm
Curry!

carlosjackal, Aug 20, 9:24pm
My suggestion is to make a large Potato Gratin - you can have that as an accompaniment to your main meal and could be used in the same way the next day with a different main meal. Potato Gratin is usually nicer on day 2 anyway.

jaxma, Aug 20, 10:13pm
Thank you all for the suggestions :-)In the end, my friend came out and said "just pour gravy over the meat and heat it in the oven", so I did that, heated the potatoes and did some veggies, and we had a roast two nights in a row!The pork was superbly tender and just melted in the mouth!Followed up with left over raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake :-)

pigletnz25, Aug 21, 4:29am
jaxma wrote:
Thank you all for the suggestions :-)In the end, my friend came out and said "just pour gravy over the meat and heat it in the oven", so I did that, heated the potatoes and did some veggies, and we had a roast two nights in a row!The pork was superbly tender and just melted in the mouth!Followed up with left over raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake :-)

Thats what i would have done too, left over roast meat done in gravy the night after is so yummo and reheating the veges is so easy and nice.Good on you I'm sure it was a hit