HELP! How do you grow decent mung bean sprouts?

pinto11, Aug 22, 4:43am
Ive tried and tried to grow mung bean sprouts with no real success.The ones you buy in the shop are long and delicious.by the time mine get any decent growth on them they start going soggy and mouldy.:-(

mottly, Aug 22, 5:35am
they're too wet.rinse them in water in the morning, and sit them in a sieve for the rest of the day.that's how mum always did ours.

tigeraptor2001, Aug 22, 6:55am
mmm love mung beans!

kuaka, Aug 22, 8:26am
Invest in a bean sprouter

pinto11, Aug 22, 10:32pm
Thanks for that Mottly.But how do I get them do grow nice and long like the store brought ones!

kuaka, Aug 23, 12:54am
I seem to recall that they probably take about a week to grow, give or take a day, maybe only 5 days.To be honest, it's years since I've done them.You used to be able to get a lid to fit on an agee type jar, which had a strainer set in the top.Soak the beans for a while, then strain the water out, and rinse them in water morning and evening, and strain the surplus water off them, leaving them wet but not soaking, they sprout very quickly and the longer you leave them, the longer they should get.If you leave to too long they sprout very big leaves.I think they are best kept in a warm dark place, like a cupboard. Maybe Mr Google would help you.