. risotto experts, a Q please .

hott-mama, Aug 25, 5:48am
my last risotto turned out quite gluggy .

would it have been because I added too much stock at once!

tia .

jag5, Aug 25, 5:51am
Maybe just too much stock .not necessarily at once.

I use the recipe from Vinnie from NZ Masterchef Masterclass.you can add all the liquid at once.it is brilliant.

jag5, Aug 25, 5:51am
Risotto - Pea and Bacon

2 tbsp Lupi olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups rindless bacon, 2m dice
Zest of 1 lemon
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
150ml Te Tera Sauvignon Blanc wine
2 cups Ferron Carnaroli rice
4 cups Campbells Real chicken stock, brought to a simmer
2 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed, blanched in boiling water, cooled under cold running water, well drained
2 tbsp Mainland butter
3/4 cup Perfect Italiano parmesan, finely grated, plus extra for serving
1. Place a wide bottomed, open saucepan over moderate heat, add the Lupi olive oil, then add the onion, bacon, lemon zest and garlic. Saute gently without browning until the onion is soft.

2. Add the rice and mix well. Allow the rice to 'toast' for a minute or two. Add the wine and allow to bubble for a few minutes. Add all of the stock, mix well and bring to the boil. Turn down to a very gentle boil, cover and cook for 12 minutes until the risotto is thick, creamy and the rice is cooked al dente.

3. Stir in the peas, bring back to the boil, cover again and cook for a further 3 minutes. Uncover remove from the heat and stir in the Mainland butter and Perfect Italiano parmesan.

4. To serve, spoon the risotto onto a serving dish and sprinkle over extra Perfect Italiano parmesan.

Tips
- This method will only work with a rice with a sturdy structure like Ferron Carnaroli or Vialone nano. If you want to use Arborio, you will need to use the risotto method where you add the hot stock a small amount at a time and stir until it is absorbed.
- A finely diced carrot and a thinly sliced stick of celery can be added with the onion if available.
- Vegetable stock will work well instead of chicken stock
- Pancetta can be used instead of bacon.
- Chopped fresh sage is also good in this.

hott-mama, Aug 25, 5:54am
thank you jag5 .

that recipe looks fab .

I'll definately be trying it .

ruby19, Aug 25, 6:44am
I make pumpkin risotto, but when I roast the pumpkin first, I add approx an extra cup of cubed pumkin, then puree this and add to the stock.

buzzy110, Aug 25, 9:31am
Risotto is supposed to be 'wet', but not runny. It is not supposed to be dry like packet risottos that don't bear even a passing resemblance to risotto.

hott-mama, Aug 26, 4:47am
yes, I know what risotto is meant to look like . and most of the time mine does look like that . only the last one I did was gluggy in texture . not wet .

I wouldnt call those packet things risotto . that's a bit of a stretch .

buzzy110, Aug 26, 5:31am
Lol. More than a stretch I'd say.

I'm sorry about my response to your question. I cannot tell you why your risotto was 'gluggy'. I'd only know that if I'd made it 'gluggy' myself and then I'd know because I am "Mrs Analytical".

I always preheat my stock and have it gently simmering between additions. Did you remember to add in the parmesan! It could also be the ingredients you added in. I always cook any seafood separately and add in at the very last minute, just before serving, because seafood gives off a lot of unwanted liquid.

Rice goes gluggy if it is cooked till the grains split. This is wrong on so many levels but people in here seem to like that. Did you change your rice to grains that were a little less robust than risotto rice!