This Months SKYWATCH Magazine - Recipe Section

shop-a-holic, Aug 23, 5:01am
Just flicking through the above last night and came across Agrodolce: Roman Beef!
Oh la la!
Sounds amazing.I was just wondering if anyone has made it!I was cruising down the ingredient list and wondering if there has been a mistake in the quantities of wine and beef stock.

Recipe calls for 1.25 Cups of red wine and only 1/4 C beef stock.
Should I swap them around!
*Just wondering*

rainrain1, Aug 23, 5:39am
I always follow a recipe the first time round.then if I don't like it I don't make it again, or I will alter it to suit my tastes

hmck, Aug 23, 11:17pm
It tastes awesome - I made it just after the mag came out.But be warned - I used very dark chocolate (high cocoa content) and it was very rich - maybe next time I'd use a little less chocolate or not such a high cocoa content.Yummy though.

hmck, Aug 23, 11:18pm
And that wasn't a mistake in quantities - it worked out just fine like it said.

annie.nz, Aug 23, 11:25pm
I wouldn't change it, it sounds very like Roman regional cooking to use those quantities of wine.

bedazzledjewels, Aug 24, 12:11am
Would be great to have a link to the recipe please! TIA.

shop-a-holic, Aug 24, 6:19am
INGREDIENTS
1.2kgs blade or chuck steak (I'm going to use beef cheeks)
150g streaky bacon, diced (I'm going to use Pancetta)
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 C flour
1 1/4C red wine (I'll use Pinot Noir)
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 C beef stock
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons juniper berries, crushed (I use a pestle and mortar)
2 large thyme sprigs
1/4 C raisins (I'll have to use the golden ones I have)
salt and ffreshly ground black pepper
50gms dark chocolate (pref 60% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
fresh thyme leaves to garnish

shop-a-holic, Aug 24, 6:25am
METHOD

Trim meat of excess fat and cut into 4cm cubes. Place steak, bacon, onion, garlic and carrot in to the slow cooker. Sprinkle the flour over the top and toss to combine.

Mix the red wine, vinegar, beef stock, cinnamon and nutmeg together and pour over meat and vegetables in the slow cooker. Stir in the Juniper Berries and tuck the thyme sprigs down into the liquid.

Cover with a lid and cook following the times and settings suggested below. Half an hour prior ro serving, remove the thyme stalks and add th raisins. Replace the lid and continue cooking for the final 30 minutes.

Check seasonings, adding salt and pepper if necessary. Stir in the chocolate and leave for a few minutes to melt through the sauce.

Garnish with fresh thyme leaves and serve with warm soft bread for soaking up the fragrant juices. A crisp salad is the perfect accompaniment.

shop-a-holic, Aug 24, 6:27am
TO COOK

CROCKPOT: Low 9-10hrs / High 4.5-5 hrs
SLOW COOKER: Low 8-9hrs / High 4-4.50 hrs
SPEEDY SLOW COOKER: Low 6-6.5 hrs / High 3.25-3.50 hrs

cucine, Aug 27, 2:45am
Also made the Parsnip and Orange soup, it was delicious. Very brave of me.I made it for a dinner for eight without trying it first, but everyone loved it. And yes, hmck, next time I make the Roman Beef I will use less chocolate, and do it as a casserole in the oven.

shop-a-holic, Aug 27, 10:37pm
I made the Roman Beef on Sunday.It needs to be seasoned well.And I would brown my beef beforehand too.The chocolate (70% cocoa) was the correct amount, but maybe a dessertspoon of brown sugar should also accompany the amount of red wine vinegar.

I'd casserole it in the oven too, as opposed to slow cooker.
Enjoy!

griffo4, Aug 27, 10:51pm
Juniper berries where will l get them from l don't think our local Countdown will have them!
lf not is there a substitute!

griffo4, Sep 5, 7:21am
Thanks for posting shopaholic l made it tonight and it was very nice
l browned the meat first and did it in the oven and put in the choc at the end and it was nice and rich and tasty
Will make again

shop-a-holic, Sep 5, 7:26am
Two Thumbs Up, griffo4.I'm going to make it again too, following my own logic (giggles).

griffo4, Sep 5, 9:30pm
l followed your tips and l think that made a difference
lt is great to read recipes that someone else has tried and the tweaks they make and all the feedback
Thanks