Quail eggs.

chooky, Aug 27, 11:14pm
Hello cooks. I have to make savoury pieces for pot luck lunch for fathers day on sunday. Got a few idea, thought about making scotch eggs but with quail eggs so they are only small nibbles not like the normal ones I do. Has anyone tried this and are they stronger in taste, we have a few fussy relatives. Thanks.

davidt4, Aug 27, 11:47pm
Quails' eggs taste pretty much the same as hens' eggs.They are a real pain to peel, so allow plenty of time

chooky, Aug 28, 4:37am
Thanks will keep it in mind for next time. Have rung around our 3 super markets up in Whangarei /Dargaville and no one has them. I saw them in New World Albany a little while ago but our New World doesnt.

dms01, Aug 28, 4:47am
slightly creamier tasting and as david said a pain to peel. The trick is to gently roll them with a little pressure.
You'll have to get onto him fast to get them by Sunday but I know a quail egg grower, Rodney. email info@manurau.co.nz, he can either supply or point you in the right direction.

shop-a-holic, Aug 28, 10:59am
Scotch Eggs quail egg size will be a hit.You go girl.two thumbs up. *bless*

chooky, Aug 28, 8:05pm
Thanks, emailed last night and he replied straight away, he suggested Mt Wellington, but thats 2 hrs from me, so looks like it just an idea. Nevermind.

jimmy2102, Aug 28, 8:13pm
Am sure i saw a tip to peel on masterchef, once cooked leave eggs for a few minutes in cold water with vinegar, they peel heaps easier

daleaway, Aug 28, 10:23pm
You used to be able to get quail eggs in tins - maybe they are still around.