Frozen limes

wheelz, Aug 28, 7:58am
those that freeze them, once frozen can use use as you would when fresh, i.e. grate the zest and squeeze juice out! TIA

olwen, Aug 28, 8:44pm
They might be too soft to grate the zest.I would grate the zest and squeeze and put the juice in ice cube trays and the zest in a ziplock bag

cloudberry, Aug 28, 8:47pm
I read on a blog somewhere (of course I can't remember which one!) about freezing lemons whole or freezing unused halves and then just grating the whole frozen lemon, pith, peel flesh and all into or over food as you need it. I haven't tried it but I will as I always seem to have unused lemon halves that I end up wasting. No reason why it shouldn't work with limes too.

olwen, Aug 28, 8:50pm
I'd not thought about grating when frozen.If you've got a good grater that should work.Limes are thinner skinned than lemons

wheelz, Aug 29, 8:48pm
So. No one has used whole frozen limes then!

davidt4, Aug 29, 9:29pm
I freeze limes whole.They are fine for juice, I can grate the zest with a microplane if I am careful, but I don't think an ordinary box grater would be sharp enough.

moggie57, Aug 29, 9:59pm
I froze 1/2 a left over orange i had form baking.when i went to bake again i grated it from frozen & it was so much easier than fresh & it thawed really quickly (while i was getting other ingredients ready) & once thawed was exactly like a fresh one.I was impressed!

wheelz, Aug 29, 10:04pm
Thank you very much for your replies. Always good to hear from real experience.