Raw eggs and selmonella(sp)

dibble35, Aug 29, 11:31pm
Has anyone here actually got sick from eating raw eggs! I often eat raw cookie dough, or uncooked pavlova mix. prefer it to final cooked product most of the time and have never gotten sick from it. Does it occur very rarely.or is it just an old wives tale! Saw a comment on one of the threads (fudge slice) about raw eggs and selmonella(sp) and got curious.

davidt4, Aug 29, 11:59pm
The most recent studies I have read indicate that the incidence of Salmonella in eggs is very low in NZ.Refrigeration of eggs is recommended, and you should wash the shells before you crack them if they are dirty.

We eat raw egg regularly (in mayonnaise, Hollandaise, chocolate mousse etc) and have never had any problems.

mottly, Aug 30, 12:02am
never heard of anyone getting it - we ate cookie and cake dough for donkies years - plus raw eggs in smoothies - body builders eat them all the time.You're more likely to catch it from poop on the shell than from the actual egg.

bedazzledjewels, Aug 30, 12:02am
I got it many years ago when I bought a home-made mousse from a deli. I can't remember ever being so sick!
I use raw eggs like DT4 but I'm careful to only buy mousses, sauces etc when at top restaurants.

davidt4, Aug 30, 12:11am
That's right.The 2007 study showed no internal contamination at all, the contamination was only on the shells.

dibble35, Aug 30, 2:10am
well thanks, thats all very interesting

sarahb5, Aug 30, 2:46am
My dad got food poisoning from the mayonnaise used on a sandwich - not sure if it was salmonella or listeria - but he always assumed that it was the raw egg in the mayonnaise that did it.I'm not sure how you prove it one way or the other and he's not around to ask any more.

hestia, Aug 30, 4:00am
When you crack open the egg, the salmonella bacteria on the outside of the shell can be carried into whatever you are cooking. If it is something like mousse (or mayonnaise) which is prepared in advance and served hours later, then the bacteria that has contaminated the mousse has had that many hours in order to grow and multiply. The end result would be food poisoning.

poppy500, Sep 15, 4:53am
Hi Yes other posters are correct about pathogens being on the shell exterior. Salmonella outbreaks are rarely egg associated in NZ.
There was a recent outbreak of salmonella associated with eating raw flour. Have a look on the flour bags- Budget brand now says that flour needs to be cooked before consuming it.

kabbo, Sep 16, 3:05am
so if you wash the eggs under water, is that ok!
am really referring to free range eggs from friends rather than shop bought ones.

buzzy110, Sep 16, 5:41am
That should be fine. Remember to wash your hands and the cloth you use afterwards. Also do not consume any eggs that have cracked shells as bugs can enter the egg via the cracks.