What to take to a pot-luck dinner?

blackcat30, Aug 31, 3:05am
Am staying in a bed n breakfast lodge at the moment, between homes, and I've been invited to a pot-luck dinner tonight. Normally I'd make something along the lines of soy-honey chicken drumsticks or my tomato-spicy chickpea dish. But the place I'm staying doesn't have a satisfactory kitchen. I will have to trawl the supermarket and find inspiration, but I want to rise above the crackers and dip/humus choices and not arrive at their house toting a collection of packets.I want to look as though I've prepared something to share. Any ideas!

lilyfield, Aug 31, 3:14am
vegies-- there are never enough on pot luck dinners

sandals, Aug 31, 3:23am
I agree with Lillyfield. A vege dish is what I usually take as there is never enough in the way of veges. A combination of colli, brocoli, carrots, pumpkin, etc, whip up a cheese sauce sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs. Or a potato bake dish.

davidt4, Aug 31, 3:24am
Make a big salad using the freshest ingredients you can buy - baby cos lettuce, red onion, fennel, herbs, baby spinach etc.Wash and dry, carry in a big plastic bag.Make a vinaigrette using top quality extra virgin olive oil (e.g. Village Press) , red wine vinegar, French Dijon mustard (e.g. Maille or Grey Poupon), finely chopped garlic, and take it along in a jar.Take a huge salad bowl if you think your hosts may not have one.Dress the salad just before dinner.

shellz213, Aug 31, 3:27am
Seeing as you don't really have the kitchen facilities, I would be inclined to get a hot chicken from the supermarket, cut it up and put it on a nice plate . served either hot or cold.I find a cut up chicken is one of the things that always goes at pot lucks.

blackcat30, Aug 31, 4:29am
Thank you everyone for your ideas. I'm liking the plan of a big fresh salad - a base of cos lettuce or mesclun with filling and interesting things added and tossed together at the last minute. Then I can buy the other ingreds I need in only the amounts necessary, and no need for kitchen facilities.

tjman, Aug 31, 4:44am
Food in a minute had a great french salad, that had tune gourmet potatoes fresh green beans, tuna etc.try and google it.It's a meal in one , makes heaps and looks impressive.

lilyfield, Aug 31, 4:46am
please do not dress the salad, I for one hate every kind of dressing and know lots of others that eat their greens au naturel.