corn chutney/relish/pickle recipe

tlkin, Apr 15, 10:51pm
I have 10 cobs of corn to make chutney or similar out of. The March Taste has a recipe that was my initial inspiration but on further reading it seems that 'relish' is only a short life thing and I want to make something that i can put away and open as desired. I have googled variations but got abit confused lol. and looked on Trade me Cooks - nothing there. Even looked in Edmonds which had nothing surprisingly. Does anyone have a simple corn relish/chutney/pickle recipe that will store? Thankyou in Advance

jag5, Apr 16, 5:58am
I do have a recipe that I love, and is easy to make, and tastes just like a bought one.

I will try and locate the recipe and post it later for you.

juliewn, Apr 16, 5:59am
Hi. . some relish recipes are to be kept in the fridge and used within a few days - most are for long keeping in the same way a pickle or chutney is, like this that's been posted previously. .

Corn Relish.
2 1/2 C white vinegar
1/4 C chpd green pepper
1 C sugar
1/4 C chpd red pepper
2 x 315g cans whole kernel corn
3 Tbsps cornflour
1 med onion
1 Tbsp dry mustard
1/2 C chpd celery
1 tsp mustard seeds

Place 2 cups vinegar & the sugar in a large saucepan, stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved, bring to the boil. Add drained corn, chopped onion & remaining chopped vegetables. Cover, reduce heat, simmer 20 mins. Blend cornflour & mustard with remaining vinegar, add with mustard seeds to vegetable mixture. Stir until mixture boils & thickens; reduce heat, simmer further 5 mins, stirring constantly. Pour into hot sterilised jars, seal. Makes approx 2 1/2 cups
Posted by jaky"

tlkin, Apr 18, 10:34am
Thanks for the recipe and the info julewn. Bumping in case you find your recipe jag5! Cheers

korbo, Apr 18, 6:54pm
juli, hi, I am still looking for a recipe called mixed pickles. it seems to have cucumbers, tomato, onion, and maybe peppers. It has a very thick yellowish tasty sauce. it is not too curryish...
I am wondering if this recipe for the corn relish, could be made, by adding the other ingredients, and perhaps omitting the corn.
If only i could find the person who donated the jars of pickle to our local hospice shop. it was a year or so ago.

korbo, Apr 18, 9:40pm
it also has celery in it.

jag5, Apr 19, 4:50am
tlkin... . I am sorry, but I have searched high and low for my recipe, but I cannot find it. I have two jars left in the pantry, so I will need to find it or something very similar soon! ! I am gutted. Mine has the red pepper chopped up in it, but doesn't have tomato or mustard or stuff like that. I will keep looking for it, (moving soon), so it might be amazing what I find and where. Apologies

tlkin, Apr 20, 10:56am
thanks for looking jag5. Hope you can find it - I would be gutted too! I have started my own page on the Trade me cooks site and have started to put some recipes there. I must do some more - like Grannies Tomato soup - if I lost that I would never get it back!

korbo, Apr 21, 2:34am
anyone have a recipe for what i am trying to find. thanks

juliewn, Apr 22, 9:55am
Hi Marilyn. . sorry to take a while replying - have been away and just home tonight. .

I do hope all is well for you there. .

I'd give the recipe a try - I'd use the vegetables you've mentioned, to the same quantity as the vegetables in the recipe. . and reduce the mustard to 1tsp when adding it, so the result isn't too hot - taste it before you're ready to bottle the mix, and add a little more mixed into some vinegar, then added and cooked again, if you prefer. .

I would also add 2tsp turmeric - it gives a great yellow colour, without affecting the heat of the spices at all.

Let us know how you get on. .

Cheers. . Julie

korbo, Apr 23, 9:26am
juliewn, i am fine, still have days where i feel i'm on another planet... had heaps of energy a while back, but slipped back lately. all part and parcel of the trauma... it will get better.
have had hubby in hosp and off work for 8 weeks, with an infected foot. he is ok now. I hope to make that recipe next week. made so many in feb/march having a break for a while.
nice to catch up, even if it is on here. lol. .

jag5, Apr 28, 7:47am
tlkin... . I have found it yay...

1kg corn kernels, 1 red capsicum, de-seeded and chopped, 2 onions, peeled and chopped, 1/4 cup salt, 2 cups castor sugar, 2 cups white vinegar (or cider vinegar), 2 tspns mustard powder, 2 tspns turmeric.

1. Mix the corn, capsicum, onion and salt. Leave for 2-3 hours, then drain away the moisture.
2. Place sugar, vinegar, vegetables, mustard and tumeric in a pan and bring to a boil.
3. Cook over medium heat for half an hour, stirring occasionally.
4. Allow to cool. Then pour into jars and seal.

If you feel it is too runny, thicken with a paste of cornflour and vinegar.

tlkin, Apr 28, 9:12am
thanks Jag5! You must be very pleased! ! And thanks for coming back to post it here. I have posted into my folder on Trade me cooks with credit to you! So if you ever loose it again you can find it there! Cheers

tlkin, Apr 28, 9:15am
I have called it "corn relish"

guest, Apr 19, 11:24am
I made this one and liked it...
http://chutneypicklerecipe.com/cabbage-and-corn-relish/
Surprisingly good