Making red and white icings

misstaz, Jul 19, 9:05am
Some one please help I am making a angry bird birthday cake for a good friend and need to know the best way to make red icing and what food food coloring would be better to use, also how do u make pure white icing.

jag5, Jul 19, 9:24am
For white.icing sugar and water.or egg whites.for red, you are best off to get the proper red colouring from a cake decorating place (or check on here).not just the cochineal from the supermarket.that only gives you pink basically.

duckmoon, Jul 19, 8:58pm
i would use "food gel" - rather than liquid food colouring. it gets a true-er colour.

I purchased mine from a cake decorating shop

auntlb, Jul 20, 2:43am
I used red gel colouring but needed quite a lot to get "red" icing and the outcome was quite bitter tasting (needed to add raspberry essence to make it edible!) - you apparently can buy red coloured fondant now (must look out for it) in the bakels range

cookessentials, Jul 20, 2:56am
Gel colouring is the best to use for the red. Wilton do them for about $7.50. Use a toothpick to gradually add to your icing to get the right colour red. If you are using a lot of red, using Wilton "no taste red" which does not taste bitter.