what's missing from this recipe?

ange164, Feb 2, 10:31pm
It has no oil/butter or egg. My question is - does it need it like most muffins do? or did I just miss out writing them down when I copied out the recipe - in which case - give me your educated guess as to the quantities when in relation to the quantities of the dry ingrediants/flour

Pineapple bran muffins.
1 & half C flour
1 & half t Baking powder
1 t Cinnamon
1 C bran flakes
1/2 C saultanas
1/4 C chopped walnuts
1/2 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C crushed pineapple
1 &1/2 T Golden syrup
1 C milk

Sift flour and BP. Add Sugar, cinnamon and bran flakes.

Stir in saultanas and walnuts

Mix milk, syrup and pineapple in, stir till just combined

Place mixture two thirds full in greased patty tins.

Bake at 190*C for 15 mins till risen and golden brown.

I copied the recipe out 15 years ago in college and haven't used it until today.

kermitnz1, Feb 2, 10:40pm
My bran muffin recipe is basically the same as yours apart from it has 1 egg in the ingredients as well.

fatdx, Feb 2, 11:15pm
My ordinary bran muffin recipe has oil in it. Add an egg and a bit of oil and see how they turn out? It wont hurt them anyway.

cgvl, Feb 2, 11:47pm
I have an old Aunt Daisy recipe that is similar to that and it doesn't have eggs or butter/oil/marg in it.
Often in recipes especially ones from the war years they replaced the eggs either some or all with golden syrup.
I would make and see how they turn out and if not happy then make a notation beside recipe to try with oil or eggs or both next time.

cgvl, Feb 2, 11:49pm
eggs and oil are moisteners, you have 1cup of milk in that recipe which is your moistener in this instance.

theanimal1, Feb 2, 11:53pm
Pineapple Bran Muffins

1 canCrushed Pineapple
2 cups (500 mL) all-bran cereal
1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
2 cups (500 mL) all purpose flour
2/3 cup (150 mL) sugar
4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
1/4 cup (50 mL) molasses
2 eggs, beaten

Drain pineapple, set aside; reserve 1/2 cup (125 ml) juice. Combine reserved juice, cereal and milk; set aside. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Stir pineapple, oil, molasses and eggs into cereal mixture; add all at once to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened. Divide batter among 12 greased large muffin cups (cups will be full). Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven 20 to 25 min or until done. Makes 12 large muffins.

elliehen, Feb 2, 11:55pm
I agree with cgvl. It looks to have plenty of liquid, including some with the crushed pineapple. Make it this way and don't mess with alterations until you've tried it once. Looks like many recipes in old cookbooks. And you probably were very careful doing the copying in your sharp college days!

fifie, Feb 2, 11:59pm
My guess is you have enough liquid with the syrup, milk, juice in thepineapple to your ratio of dry ingredients. I'd make them and if you feel the mixture is a bit dry put in 1 beaten egg being careful not to have your mixture to wet or over mix them. .

ange164, Jul 26, 3:44pm
ah - that could well be it.

Thanks over all, for you helpful people.