Freezing potatoes

vicki_r, Jul 24, 6:03am
Hi, can anyone tell me whether or not you can freeze mashed potatoes! I have a large quantity and don't want to waste them. ( Yes I do have recipes I can use them up with )
Thank you

pgta, Jul 24, 6:10am
You can buy frozen mashed potato in the supermarket so I guess no reason why you can't.

crazycolt, Jul 24, 6:17am
it goes very gross and watery the frozen stuff has aditives to stop this from happening

geldof, Jul 24, 6:39am
I frequently freeze it with no problem.
Thaws just fine for me.

hindsfeet, Jul 24, 6:56am
I have used an ice cream scoop and put scoops of mashed potatoes on the oven tray and then put them into plastic bags when frozen. worked alright for us

dezzie, Jul 24, 7:17am
yep, round balls on baking paper on an oven tray works for me, I just make them pingpongball sized and use them on top of fish pie and things, if they are too big and heavy they sink.

nauru, Jul 24, 7:28am
Yes it does freeze OK. Just put portions on baking paper as another poster suggested. When frozen put into bags, easy as.

kay141, Jul 24, 7:55am
I freeze it too. Lovely in a dish, dotted with butter and reheated in the oven

barneyboy1999, Jul 25, 8:02am
Lately my frozen taties have been coming out fine, previously they were watery but I haven't done anything different so maybe current agrias are better than nadines (I think that was what I was getting earlier in the year). When they came out watery, Iheated them in the microwave with a bit of grated cheese which seems to thicken/cream them up nicely.

littlemissy1, Jul 25, 8:49am
I have put them in the freezer with no problems, quick zap in microwave and they are yum!

punkinthefirst, Jul 25, 10:47am
I do them like this, too, and have never had watery mash if it is made properly in the first place.