Garlic crushers.

ange164, Jul 21, 9:03pm
When I crush garlic in my garlic crusher, it doesn't crush the thing right to the bottom. I feel like it leaves about half the clove still mashed in the device.
Is this normal!
Do I have a poorly built crusher!
If this *is* normal, what do you usually do with the mashed bit that didn't make it through the holes!
Tip it out and chop it up (kind of defeats the purpose of a garlic crusher having to handle it) or throw it away!

brajama, Jul 21, 10:32pm
Mine does too.it is a lever one, I also have a screwdown one, that does the same. I usually re-press the leftovers garlic, then throw it away.

holly-rocks, Jul 21, 10:55pm
i had the same problem, switched to a plane grater and never looked back :)

cookessentials, Jul 21, 11:52pm
Only one to use is the Zyliss suzi2. The only thing you need to do is to chop off the hard root end and then into the garlic press, skin and all. Dont use a stainless steel garlic press, it makes the garlic biter.

sarahb5, Jul 22, 12:14am
That's what I've got but it only crushes the whole clove if the garlic is quite hard - if there's any left in there though I just scrape it out with a sharp knife.Usually I cut each clove into about 4 pieces and then it crushes the whole thing.

angel404, Jul 22, 12:28am
This is what I do. One of those lil plane graters is what i use. its awesome.

carlosjackal, Jul 22, 4:22am
I never ever use a garlic crusher. Instead, I do what you sometimes see the judges do on Masterchef: peel the clove/s, slice thinly/chop finely, add salt and with the blade of a knife, squash. Scrap up the garlic - no mess, no gadget to clean.just a knife and board.

brownscows, Jul 22, 5:38am
I have had various crushers, all been a bit hopeless. My daughter bought me a Jamie olliver one. Very strong and does a great job. Its awkward to wash though. I tend to just chop the garlic with a sharp knife - much easier!

cookessentials, Jul 22, 5:40am
If you have "squishy" garlic cloves, it wont matter what you use. You need freash, form garlic cloves.

sarahb5, Jul 22, 6:05am
Yes I know but the quality of garlic from Countdown recently has been appalling - far too fresh so it's still soft, needs to be allowed to "dry off" so that it goes hard enough to crush

ern2, Jul 25, 1:21pm
Peel all your garlic, pass it through the mincer and then freeze in airtight container.Keeps indefinitely in perfect condition.