Loking for a recipe

texastwo, Jul 30, 1:08am
for a strognly flavoured Ginger and Coffee cake. made one at the weeknd but disappointed with the lack of taste

245sam, Jul 30, 1:57am
texastwo, I don't have a personally tried and tested recipe for you, but have you already seen/tried the recipe at:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/may/22/fresh-ginger-coffee-cake-lepard

texastwo, Jul 30, 9:17am
Thans 245sam I looked at that one but decided against .too many oddball ingredients (pistachios) and went for a simpler one. Had the same amount of coffee and ginger as the one I used. maybe I just need to double or treble the coffee and ginger.LOL

korbo, Jul 30, 9:20am
our local binn inn has a new range of coffee and ginger essences. what coffee did you use.

245sam, Jul 30, 10:09am
texastwo, I'm wondering the same as korbo - what coffee did you use!

Is it the coffee flavour that isn't strong enough or the ginger flavour that doesn't come through enough for you!
If you want to increase the ginger flavour how about using the suggestion that is with the recipe on the above link -

"Add finely chopped glacé ginger or dried apricots to make it fruitier, if you like." - I'm not suggesting that you add the apricots but some chopped glace ginger would definitely give your cake more of a ginger hit.If you're concerned about the sugar on crystallised ginger making the cake too sweet, you have two options (1) rinse the sugar off, then dry the pieces before chopping them or alternatively (2) it is possible to buy "Naked Ginger" which is the same as crystallised ginger but without the sugar coating (hence the name Naked Ginger).

Hope that helps.:-))

texastwo, Jul 30, 10:12pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I wanted the ginger to come through with a hint of coffee.I got neither.Recipe (above link) suggested 2cm of ginger root I actually used 3cm but maybe the glace ginger might be better. dont mind it being sweeter. Coffee - used Robert Harris ground coffee, but maybe instant might be better. Something like Nescafe Expresso. Dont think coffee essence would do the job. appreciate the advice.

gdath2, Jul 30, 10:19pm
try www.nigella.com as you can normally find most recipes there.

texastwo, Jul 30, 10:31pm
Thanks - nothing there.