Pickled walnuts

lizyb, Aug 1, 10:11pm
Have just purchased a property with 15 large, 60 year old walnut trees and would like some suggestions for their use. Everyone seems to want them shelled when buying - lots of hard work ! so thought I'd try some pickling to have with cold meats and summer salads.Would like a semi sweet pickling recipe if anyone has one please.

willyow, Aug 2, 12:40am
I sell huge quantities of in-shell walnuts at theLa Cigale French Market in Auckland on Saturdays - I won't sell shelled ones.I think if you trya local farmers market you will b surprised how many people like them in-shell - they are always much tastier and stay fresh in-shell - once shelled they start going rancid straight away -

mwood, Aug 2, 2:50am
Here is an alternative treatment for using green walnuts - although I usually make the stronger Italian version "Nocino"
http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/walnut.html

odfrj, Aug 2, 4:13am
When i shell ours i put them in a icecream container and put them in the freezer and they dont freeze but they taste fresh and cruncy as the day i shelled them.YUM!

willyow, Aug 2, 8:07pm
Current retail price forgood quality localin-shell walnuts is $16-$18 dollars - so there's a dollar to be made if you have lots oftrees. Pickling them sounds like hard work - and it's a bit of an acquired taste that most Kiwis are unfamiliar with.

norse_westie, Aug 2, 8:43pm
I buy them in bulk (off TM) still in the shells. I like my kids to learn food is not always instant. We have fun cracking and eating them.

I'd love to try pickled walnuts though.

rainrain1, Aug 2, 8:46pm
you pickle them green .