Nutritional Yeast - where to buy?

smileeah, Aug 2, 9:54am
My son has recently stopped eating dairy products so I am on the look out for ways to adapt the family meals to make them suitable for him to eat. I have found a couple of recipes that call for a nice nutritional yeast. Is this different to Brewers Yeast (I'm guessing it is)! And also where will I be likely to find some with a nice enough flavour for making vegan 'cheese' sauces etc! I will try the local health shop but would like recommendations if possible.

angel404, Aug 2, 9:58am
Binn Inn has brewers yeast :)

smileeah, Aug 2, 10:01am
So is brewers yeast another name for nutritional yeast! I have some brewers yeast but my son doesn't like the smell so I can't imagine he would like the flavour all that much either, although I haven't used it in any recipe so far to see how it tastes.

auntlb, Aug 2, 10:08am
There are some nice sheep cheeses around that are good for cheese sauce (I make with soy milk or rice milk) - also recently have found Abella Buffalo mozzerella cheese - around $11 at Pak nSave for a 340gm block - great for pizza and grated in sandwiches.

frances1266, Aug 2, 6:32pm
You can buy nutritional yeast, also called yeast flakes at the Bin Inn but they are darker in colour and not as nice as the lighter ones which can be bought at Health food shops.They are made or packed by Lotus and cost around $12.Lasts quite a while though.Also contains B12.I will bump up the Tasty and easy Vegetarian thread for you.Lots of excellent vegan recipes there.Yeast flakes are not the same as Brewers Yeast.
Yeast flakes are yummy but do make sure you get the light variety.

geldof, Aug 2, 8:30pm
Yeast flakes, savoury yeast, Brufaxare all nutritional yeast. Brewers yeast is NOT.

Yummy on buttered hot toast.
I get mine from Bin Inn, but agree it is not as nice as some others.
I give it a blitz in the processor to break some of the big bits down.

angel404, Aug 3, 7:23am
Oh yeah I shouldve known yeast flakes and brewers yeast werent the same! I learnt that lesson the hard way! lol yeast flakes remind me of those chocolate flakes you get in the top of your ice cream! (cept the yeast flake is more crumbly)

smileeah, Aug 3, 11:48am
Thanks all. Will check out the health shop. I have copied some recipes from the vegetarian thread ready to test out.