Basic Bread recipe

hmck, Aug 2, 8:41pm
Hello,I am feeling brave and want to make bread to see how it goes. (not in a bread maker) Does anyone have a basic bread recipe for a bread-beginner they could share please!

lx4000, Aug 2, 9:23pm
Easy Healthy Bread

1 Cup plain flour
1 Cup wholemeal flour
1 Cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp salt

Mix above dry together.

Mix wet together to dissolve.

1 tsp honey
1 1/4 Tsp honey
2 tsp yeast

Add dry mix to wet mix.
Mix well.

Spray oil around loaf tin and add dough. Spray top with oil and leave to rise for 30 or so mins.

Bake 180 for 35 to 40 mins.

Be warned! This IS A WET DOUGH !
I find if I wet my hands first, I can get the dough into the loaf tin without sticking to my hands.

I add sunflower seeds and raisins to the dry mix and its wonderful. This one you can add what ever to!

Easy as and fast, no kneading either!

lx4000, Aug 2, 9:29pm
here is a basic white bread recipe

3 tsp dried yeast
1 tsp caster sugar
melted butter, for brushing
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten

Combine yeast and sugar and 330ml (1 1/3c) warm water in a jug. Stand in a warm place for 5-10mins till frothy

Lightly brush a large bowl with melted butter. sift the flour into another large bowl. stir in the salt and make a well in the centre. add the yeast mixture and mix until the dough comes together. turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 5-8 mins or until smooth and elastic (to test if you have kneaded the dough enough, push your thumb into the top, forming a dent - the dough should rise to the top of the dent). PLace in teh buttered bowl, cover with gladwrap and rest for 45mins or until doubled in size

brush an 8x 19cm loaf tin with melted butter. punch down the dough with your fist then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 3 mins or until the dough has returned to its original size. form into a loaf shape and place in the tin. rest for 20 mins or until the dough has risen just above the tin

meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200c. brush the top of the loaf with more melted butter and the beaten egg. bake for 30mins or until the bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped.

*** for a herb bread add 3/4c chopped mixed fresh herbs such as parsley chives or dill***

Quotekate_and_jase (361 )11:17 am, Fri 18 Nov #8

lx4000, Aug 2, 9:30pm
I have found that the more non white the bread is, the more wetter the bread has to be other wise its dry as. Kneading is important too if it needs kneading.

zappi, Aug 2, 11:00pm
lx4000 in the wet ingredients should there be two lots of honey or is one water.

geldof, Aug 2, 11:40pm
Zappi,The 1 1/2 honey should be1 1/2 cups warm water.
Have made this loaf and it is an easy one.

biggles45, Aug 3, 12:01am
150ml hand hot water, add 1 teasp white sugar and whisk it with a fork, then add 2 teasp dried yeast and whisk. Leave to froth (froth needs to be about 1 cm high before you add it to flour etc). Sift 700gm strong white flour into bowl, add salt to taste (the recipe says 1 tablespoon but I add about half of that!). Rub in15gm butter or marg. When yeast is ready add to flour with another 275 ml of warm water and mix. Knead till smooth and slightly shiny. There is a special way of kneading that is quick and easy - put dough on bench and push the palm of your hand hard down and forward (if that makes sense) so you are stretching the dough. Fold in half and repeat - only takes 6 -8 pushes all up!. Put in bowl, cover with cling wrap and leave to double its size (about 2 hours at room temp). Knead again and make an oblong roughly the size of loaf tin. Put in greased 1lb loaf tin, wrap tin in plastic bag, leaving bag loose/high enough on top for rising so it doesn't stick. Leave till risen a little above top of tin (recipe says 30 mins, I find at room temp it takes about an hour). Bake in pre heated oven at 230 for about 40 minutes.

lx4000, Aug 3, 12:38am
EDITED

Easy Healthy Bread

1 Cup plain flour
1 Cup wholemeal flour
1 Cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp salt

Mix above dry together.

Mix wet together to dissolve.

1 1/4 C warm water
1Tsp honey
2 tsp yeast

Add dry mix to wet mix.
Mix well.

Spray oil around loaf tin and add dough. Spray top with oil and leave to rise for 30 or so mins.

Bake 180 for 35 to 40 mins.

Be warned! This IS A WET DOUGH !
I find if I wet my hands first, I can get the dough into the loaf tin without sticking to my hands.

I add sunflower seeds and raisins to the dry mix and its wonderful. This one you can add what ever to!

Easy as and fast, no kneading either!

hmck, Aug 3, 9:50pm
You guys are awesome - thank you!