Steak pie

daniclark, Aug 5, 11:40pm
recipe, anybody!

245sam, Aug 6, 12:01am
From the former Trademe Cooks.

"Steak and Mushroom Pie
2 sheets shortcrust pastry, 1 egg lightly beaten, 1 sheet puff pastry, (or use just puff if you like) fresh herbs to garnish, 2 Tbsp oil, 1 onion chopped, 300g mushrooms sliced, 1 kg steak cubed, 2 1/2 cups water, 1/4 cup red wine (this can be left out, but it does add a beautiful flavour) 2 beef stock cubes, 2 Tbsp tomato sauce, 1 Tbsp worchestshire sauce, 1 tsp mixed herbs, 2 Tbsp flour, extra 1/4 c. You may like to blind bake the pastry, but I now cook this with cold filling into raw pastry. Heat oil in pan, add onion and mushrooms, cook till soft, add meat, cook till brown, add water, wine, stock cubes, sauces and herbs, bring to boil then simmer 15 mins, stir occasionally, blend flour and extra water, stir into mixture, bring to boil, simmer 2 mins, then cool. Spoon filling into base, brush edges of pastry with egg, cover pie with puff pastry, press edges to seal, brush with egg, put slits in top for steam to escape, cook at 200c 15 mins, then 180c for 15 mins. I usually make this up and find it makes more than the recipe suggests, I use some in whatever pie container I choose (Texas muffin pies are great!) You can use all puff/flakey pastry but shortcrust gives the authentic taste. Freeze whatever pie mix you don't use and then it’s ready to go for an easy weeknight dinner with pre-rolled pastry, and tastes just as good as the fresh. I gave the cooking times here, but you know how your oven bakes, so chose whats best for your oven heat and time wise. posted by fetish

Beef & Beer Pie
The quantities are huge but I just cut everything down proportionally (mostly!)
Here goes: Put 3 tablespoons tomato paste into a large bowl, add 3.5 cups warm beef stock & stir until tomato paste dissolves. Add 2kg beef steak cubed; 750g sliced mushrooms; 1 large onion peeled & chopped, 6 cloves garlic peeled & chopped; 2 tbsp fresh thyme; 2 cups of guinness & stir well. Sprinkle over 1.5 cups flour & salt & pepper, mix well. Transfer to casserole dish, cover & bake at 325F 3.5 / 4 hours. Cover with a pastry topping, brush with egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water) & bake a further 45 mins or until pastry is puffed & golden. And yes, it sounds like too much flour, but there's 5.5 cups of liquid in there, plus what the mushrooms & beef release - I've tried it with less & the resulting gravy was not good. (understatement!) posted by alidotcom

Steak Pie Filling
Steak with rich gravy. 500g Topside steak cubed, 1 tin Mushroom soup, 1/4 cup water, 1 pkt onion soup. I put this on at 9.30am and it was ready at 5.30pm. Yum! Not my recipe, but have made it heaps will be what you are after posted by timturtle"

245sam, Aug 6, 12:02am
continued from #2

"Beef and Red Wine Pies or Savouries
1/4c oil, 1.5kg cubed chuck steak, 2 onions chopped, 1 clove garlic crushed, 1/4c flour, 1 ¼ c dry red wine, 2c beef stock, 2 bay leaves, 2 sprigs fresh thyme, 2 carrots chopped, 4 sheets ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, 1 egg lightly beaten and 4 sheets ready-rolled puff pastry. Heat 2tbsp oil in large pan, add meat & fry in batches until browned all over. Remove from pan. Heat remaining oil in pan, add onion & garlic, cook stirring until golden brown. Add flour, stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until well browned. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the combined wine & stock. Return to the heat and stir until mixture boils and thickens. Return the meat to pan and add bay leaves and thyme. Simmer for 1 hour. Add the carrot and simmer for 45 minutes or until the meat and carrot are tender and the sauce has thickened. Season to taste, and remove the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Cool. Preheat oven to 200c. Lightly greased at least six 9cm metal pie tins or a savoury pie or muffin tins. Cut the shortcrust pastry into big enough to fit the side and bottom of tins. Line each with pie with baking paper and fill with baking beads or pie weights. Place on a baking tray and bake for 8 minutes. Remove paper and beads/weights and bake a further 8 minutes or until the pastry is lightly browned. Cool. Spoon the filling into the cases and brush the edge with some of the beaten egg. Cut the puff pastry to sizes to cover the top. Trim any excess, pressing the edges with a fork to seal. Cut a slit in the top of each, brush the tops with remaining egg and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. One can freeze until ready to serve, just thaw first then reheat in gentle oven to one’s heat. Serve. These are a real treat.Absolutely nice. Worth the effort.
posted by valentino"

Hope one or more of those recipes appeal, klitemnestra123.:-))

daniclark, Aug 6, 8:14am
thanks 245sam

unknowndisorder, Nov 19, 8:04am
Bumping for infinityjcr (Hope that's the right name), but also have a question re th first recipe.
It has 2T flour, then extra 1/4 cup. Extra flour or !