Why did pavlova turn out with no crust?

munrotti, Aug 7, 3:50am
Daughter made a chocolate pavlova. Recipe was basically the same as one I have always used with no problem, apart from the addition of some cocoa powder which was mixed with a little water. Also, she accidentally put in 1 tablesp of cornflour instead of 1 teasp.The mixture was firm and fluffyand looked beautiful, but when taken from oven, was soft like marshmellow to touch, andcollapsed completely after a few minutes.Couldthe egg whites have been over beaten!

harrislucinda, Aug 7, 4:56am
mightbethecocoastoppingitfromdryingout
asthat iswhatgivestheoutsideit.scrust

munrotti, Aug 7, 9:02pm
bumping for all the other pavlova experts for advice. We would really like toknow why this happened. She made a second one and it turned out the same

fifie, Aug 7, 9:52pm
Sounds like to much moisture in pav and its collapsing.Don't know your recipe but i'd try adding cocoa dry with no water and the teaspoon vinegar, i have better success with pavs left in oven overnight to dry out therefore they hold their shape better come out softish in middle with crust on outside. keep trying practice makes perfect.

munrotti, Aug 7, 10:13pm
These werevery unmeringue like.I once made a pav in the microwave and it turned out like these. On one of the attempts she did add the cocoa powder un mixed. I have always added vinegar and a little water to my pavs and they are usually fine.Is am thinking it must have something to do with the cocoa as I have never used that before

kinna54, Aug 8, 2:46am
Not cooled in the oven for long enough.
After cooking, turn off the oven, the pav should be left to cool down in the oven, so it completely dries out, I often leave mine overnight.
Here is a crunchy recipe I used to use in my catering days, it is quite hard and meringue like.

Pavlova # 1

3 egg whites
8oz caster sugar
Pinch salt
1 tsp vinegar

Beat egg whites with salt until quite stiff.
Beat in sugar very gradually
Add vanilla and vinegar, and beat again until mixed in.

Place the mixture in a20cm circle on greased paper on a greased oven tray, and bake slowly 100—110 deg C. for about 1-1/2 hrs.
Leave the pavlova to cool in the oven until completely cold. *This makes the outside crunchier.*

This recipe has a firmer centre.
Serve topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit.

Ps.the tip to a good pav is in the beating!

munrotti, Aug 8, 3:09am
Thanks for the recipe kinna54. She left the second one in oven till cooled, but never formed a shell at all, just soft like marshmellow, almost rubbery.

kinna54, Aug 8, 3:17am
Hope you enjoy.another problem if the pav is rubbery could be not enough beating.you really have to beat the hell out of it, and add the *caster* sugar a TBSP at a time, and very gradually,and if possible don't mix in a plastic bowl.glass or stainless steel.makes a big difference.

valentino, Aug 8, 3:21am
Maybe that the oven is not hot enough to initially form the crust all over.

What temperatures are you using!

Editing to add that I use two temps, first one is quite high then is lowered to a lower temp after a few minutes.

Cheers

daleaway, Aug 8, 3:55am
Steam is the reason, from the water content.
Same reason that pavs cooked in a microwave don't crust. A microwave is basically a sort of steamer.

munrotti, Aug 8, 6:30am
That makes sense to me. Not wanting to be beaten by a chocolate pavlova, I made another one today, using a different recipe and it turned out well. In this one, the cocoa powder was mixed with the sugar before adding to the eggwhites.

nik12, Aug 8, 10:11am
Myrecipie has 1T of boiling water, I would add the cocoa to that. but glad you had success!

firecentaurr, Aug 8, 11:55pm
Yeah good on you for achieving success (forgive me for sounding a little condescending lol but I'm pleased for you though).I've giving up years ago after several attempts at making pavs.
One day, I thought I've finally overcome the challenge of producing pavs when one had risen into a half round pavlova (if I had made 2, I'll have a round football! lol).So I thought 'YES!'Better than the shop ones!Alas!Not so!

When I turned it over to have a look.it was hollowed out.like a cyclist's helmet!You can actually wear my Pav, on your head!
I haven't forgiven that pav but I refused to do another one until I'm ready to tackle pavlova!I envy you girls I really do!

firecentaurr, Aug 8, 11:55pm
Yeah good on you for achieving success (forgive me for sounding a little condescending lol but I'm pleased for you though).I've giving up years ago after several attempts at making pavs.
One day, I thought I've finally overcome the challenge of producing pavs when one had risen into a half round pavlova (if I had made 2, I'll have a round football! lol).So I thought 'YES!'Better than the shop ones!Alas!Not so!

When I turned it over to have a look.it was hollowed out.like a cyclist's helmet!You can actually wear my Pav, on your head!
I haven't forgiven that pav but I refused to do another one until I'm ready to tackle the idea of making pavlova again!I envy you girls I really do!

daleaway, Aug 9, 12:09am
#13, have you tried making them in someone else's oven!
It may not be your fault, you know!

buzzy110, Aug 9, 12:23am
Lol. The imagery makes me laugh. I'll order one from you when I need a new bicycle helmet.

jbsouthland, Aug 9, 2:58am
Thank you .you have made me laughtill my eyes watered .

firecentaurr, Aug 12, 5:26am
hmm such pav will come with a caution though.on the plus side it'll be 'food for thought' or 'not to eat while driving'.but in your case, 'not to eat while riding!lol

rarogal, Aug 13, 2:37am
I have often made chocolate pavs, and coffee flavored ones. I also add vinegar, corn flour and water, and this does not affect the crunchy exterior.