Seaweed for sushi

heathermay1, Jul 18, 2:22am
I HAVE MADE SUSHI FOR THE 1ST TIME TODAY WHICH WAS NICE EXCEPT THE SEAWEED IS SO RUBBERY THAT WE CAN CHEW IT VERY DISSAPPOINTINGTHE SEEWEED I USED ISOBENTO YAKI NORIFOR SUSHI SHOULD I USE THE ROASTED SEAWEEDDESPERATEPLEASE HELP.

245sam, Jul 18, 2:33am
heathermay1, Ioccasionally enjoy eating the nori as is i.e. straight from the packet and have just checked the current packet to hand - it is already toasted nori.
From doing a Tele-learning Japanese cooking course a long time ago I remember being told that nori should be toasted, "shiny side only, over a high heat - under the grill or over the element or flame - use chopsticks or tongs to prevent finger/hand burns.The nori should turn dark green."

Hope the helps.:-))

heathermay1, Jul 18, 3:01am
thanks but i don,t won,t to make my own not that clever why is the nori so rubbery that we can,t eat iti did the shiney side down when i rolled itit looked amazing but can.t eat the seaweed

245sam, Jul 18, 3:27am
heathermay1, I am not suggesting, and IMO did not suggest, that you make your own nori which is the name for the seaweed sheets - apart from anything else, even if you knew how to make the nori sheets, you would need to source the appropriate seaweed - I don't know of anyone here in N.Z. who does make their own nori sheets.

From my posting at #2, I was trying to indicate to you that nori (seaweed) needs to be toasted prior to being rolled around the sushi rice and other fillings of your choice.
Please check the packet to see if the nori sheets were like those I have, i.e. already toasted, and if they aren't/weren't, then I believe that if you did not toast them as in my previous posting, that is the reason that you found the nori (seaweed) to be too chewy to eat.:-))

heathermay1, Jul 18, 7:17am
i realise that i may have tried eating the sushi too soon after making itafter an hour it seems ok thanks for your import

cucine, Jul 18, 8:20am
I don't like nori, I make my sushi using rice-paper.