Onion Rings.

beebs, Jul 18, 1:59am
ok, i hang my head in shame, the only onion rings i cook are the ones in freezer section of the supermarket, but at the weekend, i tried some 'real' ones, so want to have a go, tips, recipes, hints would be great

heathermay1, Jul 18, 2:13am
I make my owncut onions into ringsflour then a light batter and into a deep fryer also niceflourthen dip into egg and bread crumbslovely

racecom, Jul 18, 4:04am
Toss into milk then into rice flour and into a deep fryer or deep hot oil. To check it is hot enough toss in a little chunk of bread, if it clours and crispens then your oil is the right temperature 180c

threecheers, Jul 18, 10:23am
Like my Momma used to make: dip in flour, then buttermilk, flour again. Deep fry if at all possible.

gypsy11, Jul 19, 12:43am
4 eggs, 1 cup flour (self raising) and about 3/4 c water, salt, mix all together using a hand blender (Add more water if needed), this makes the batter more stable.
Dip onion rings in flour and bang off and excess flour, dip into the batter then deep fry or in a pan with plenty of oil, turn frequently to get even colouring.

pogram0, Jul 19, 7:17am
There was a recipe in this morning's The Age newspaper from Melbourne in their Cuisine section.
Onion Rings
1 tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp cayenne pepper, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1 cup buttermilk, 1 tbsp Tabasco sauce, 2 large brown onions, peeled and cut into 1cm thick rings, 1 cup plain flour, Vegetable oil for frying
Method
In a bowl, mix paprika, cayenne and onion powder. Set aside half the spice mix. Combine other half with buttermilk and tabasco sauce. Add onion rings and press to coat. Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Heat a deep fryer to 180C. In a shallow bowl, combine flour with remaining spice mix. Dredge onions in seasoned flour, coating each ring evenly. Shake off excess flour and dip back into buttermilk mixture. Finally, recoat with spiced flour.
Carefully place rings in hot oil. Fry until golden brown, turning to cook evenly and prevent sticking, about 3 minutes each batch. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Serve hot.