Scones?

bella95, Jul 18, 1:00am
I want to make a batch of scones but it's just me home and I hate cold scones. Does anyone know if I can freeze half a batch uncooked and then bake them later! Or will it ruin the raising agents! Cheers.

susieq9, Jul 18, 1:07am
You could make the batch and then freeze the cooked scones. When needed take out of the freezer and thaw or zap in the microwave for about 30 seconds. I do this many times.

245sam, Jul 18, 1:28am
I agree.Wrap and freeze the cooked scones asap they are cooked - maybe not directly from the oven, but before they have fully cooled, then they should be very close to being as good as the freshly baked scones were.:-))

Edited to add . I have never done it or heard of anyone freezing unbaked scones - please do tell us if you have done so and what the resulting scones were like. :-))

245sam, Jul 18, 1:28am
I agree.Wrap and freeze the cooked scones asap they are cooked - maybe not directly from the oven, but before they have fully cooled, then they should be very close to being as good as the freshly baked scones were.:-))

Edited to add . I have never done it or heard of anyone freezing unbaked scones - please do tell us if you have done so and when cooked what the resulting scones were like. :-))

bella95, Jul 18, 3:00am
Gave up on the idea of freezing 1/2. Decided to get over my dislike of re-heated scones and that it was probably cheaper to throw away 1/2 a batch of scones than heat the oven twice.
Used these I found on "Why cant i make big, light, fluffy scones" thread.
They were AMAZING. Big light and fluffy but, my mix needed a generous cup of buttermilk.
cookessentials wrote:
Here you go.
The only scone I make is a buttermilk scone which stays soft even the next day. I have copy and pasted this off our website for you. I make large scones, so it would make about 6-8 large ones. They are lovely with a good,fruity jam such as strawberry and softly whipped cream.
Buttermilk Scones.(Makes 16)
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.

beebs, Jul 18, 3:05am
another idea, is if you buy a pack of edmonds scone mix, you can make up as much as you need, fresh, in the flavour you want, and it makes big fluffy never fail scones every time, i have some in the pantry to whip up for a lunch for workfor one of the family etc, its nice and quick - you just add water (plus any flavouring cheese/fruit etc)

spot20, Jul 18, 3:17am
I take mine from the freezer and put them in a cake tin or such like, cover with foiland pop the tin on top of the fire place.ten mins and they are like scones straight from the oven!

elliehen, Jul 18, 8:08am
If I haven't got a crowd to eat up a whole batch fresh from the oven, I make a half quantity of the recipe.