Lies lies! All Lies!

allurs, Apr 13, 11:45pm
I am sitting here waiting for the pav to finish but I'll tell ya, its so not what they have written!

That gay guy from Hotest Baker program, I'm trying his pav and it says to use sugar not caster sugar - it's very grainy , It says to wizz it in 9mins in total - ahhh no I had to keep it going! Also it says to make a paste from 1Tbl Cornflour, 1Tsp Malt Vinegar and 1Tsp Vanilla essence - make a paste? ! ahhh no it was all crumbly so I added another Tsp of Malt just as a gamble and yea just let it go, its sooooooo runny still! oh well how it turns out is a different thing but still !

maandpa2b, Apr 14, 12:16am
That is the Edmonds recipe, def use caster sugar or it will be grainy. Don't make a paste of the extra ingredients, just throw them in separately when your blender is slightly slower. I usually whisk the eggs and sugar for about 10 minutes while getting them together, before putting the extra ingredients in

cookessentials, Apr 14, 3:27am
I only ever use caster sugar in any of my baking because it dissolves well. If you have not mixed the meringue until you feel no more graininess, you may find that the meringue will "weep"

mizzmiff, Apr 14, 3:45am
Oh! - Is that why you get that syrup coming out of pavs/meringue sometimes? Because the sugar isn't dissolved? Always wondered why mine did this sometimes.

buzzy110, Apr 14, 3:50am
Exactly. Another reason is that you haven't whipped the egg whites till they are good and stiff. No matter how often you read in a recipe not to whip it till it is dry, you absolutely have to. The not whipping properly is just another lie.

poppy62, Apr 14, 6:40am
I never use caster sugar in baking - mainly because I cant be bothered buying it! My baking always turns out regardless! I even make pavs with normal sugar and they are fine!

books4nz, Apr 14, 11:34am
I do the same Poppy - including with pav's -caster sugar hasn't been in my pantry for many years.

roys351, Jan 31, 11:42am
beat the egg white and normal sugar i end up using 1/2 cup less sugar this way use white vinegar not maltand you dont need to make a paste, beat whites and sugar until stiff not what recipes say, experiment every oven and cook have their own recipe