Cupcakes.

melly16, Jun 18, 3:00am
when your cupcakes are more dense than light and fluffy does that mean you havnt mixed it enough!

kirmag, Jun 18, 3:20am
Mine came out more dense yesterday, I thought it was cos there was too much wet ingredients!mixed as much as I usually would, but made up my own recipe with stewed apples to make Apple Crumble Cupcakes. they still taste GOOOD! but dense.

chicco2, Jun 18, 4:45am
I would think Apple in cupcakes would make a more muffin texture. Cupcakes are little cakes and should be light. Muffins are more dense.
These vanilla cupcakes are light and beautiful.
2 eggs, cream, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 3/4c caster sugar, 1 c self raising flour. Crack eggs into a 250ml measuring jug then fill to the top with cream. Transfer to a bowl and beat with electic beaters for 1 minute. Add vanilla and sugar, beat 3 minutes. Fold in flour gently with wooden spoon. Spoon mix into 12 muffin tins lined with paper cases. Bake @ 180°C for approx, 15-20mins until light golden and cooked. Cook and ice with your favourite icing.
This recipe is from rycroft.

ribzuba, Jun 18, 10:01am
over mixing can make batter quite dense, also the longer you cream the butter and sugar for the more aerated the mix and therefore lighter. Overcooking will also make them a bit harder

bev00, Aug 11, 12:51pm
Try this one for cupcakes. Has flat top and a bit of a unusual way of making it but it tastes good. Also you are overmixing your mixtures. With muffin mix till just combined and no more.

80 g unsalted butter soft
280 g castor sugar
240g plain flour
1 tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
240ml full cream milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs

Oven temp 190c

In a free standing mixer or with a electric beater, mix the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt till it resemble fine breadcrumbs.

Add half the milk in and mix for 30 secs till just combined. With the remaining milk add eggs and vanilla and beat to combine, then add to the flour mixture while running on low speed. Scrape sides if need be. Beat till the batter is smooth. I fine another 30 secs is enough.

Scoop into muffin cups and bake for 18 to 20 minutes (I know my oven takes 25 mins). Also I use the old fashioned ice cream scoop to scoop my mixture out so that they are even. Ice with desired icing. Makes 12 -16 cupcakes.