What would you cook for your Masterchef audition?

julie55, Jun 25, 1:33am
Ok fellow foodies I thought I would start a new discussion since we now have a new season of Ozzie Masterchef, we have had the British versions and of course our own has just finished. And thats not to mention the US shows like Top chef etc.

If you were inspired, have a good dose of courage, reckon you have the skills to give it a go, what would you cook! Remember it has to be cooked in an hour and presented to the judging panel, plated professionally, cope with those blasted cameras, and forgetting we are all amateurs praying that nothing goes wrong after you have done umpteen practice runs at home, find a new and strange kitchen environment, and of course, an unpredictable oven. And then D Day - your dish is too easy for a Masterchef audition!

aglarana, Jun 25, 1:38am
I would do rack of lamb with a potato/kumara/garlic mash and some gorgeous fresh greens, blanched.
~OR~
Flounder baked in cream. Bet they haven't had that before.

julie55, Jun 25, 2:28am
Like the flounder idea - and you would have to buy the fish whole and fillet it unless you just used the fish as a whole. I think the rack is well used as it meets the time restrictions but still good. In my dream - and my comfort zone I would love to do something like a sponge roll with a rich filling or even a good old Victoria sponge but I think it would be deemed too simple and easy.

aglarana, Jun 25, 2:31am
Bake the flounder whole.

Sponge might sound simple but if it's done properly I bet they'd be blown away. The simple pleasures in life are usually the best.

deus701, Jun 25, 6:58am
I would go for a facial, go shopping for a nice outfit, style my hair up. Practice my elocution or pronounciation, fake a pleasant and easy going personality that goes well on tv.

This is my recipe of success.

sossie1, Jun 25, 7:00am
i would make old fashioned English cheese and onion pie, except you can't buy the proper cheddar cheese in NZ/

ruby19, Jun 25, 7:05am
Oh sossie do you have a recipe.!