What to do with chicken legs and thighs (joined)

mattdylan, Jun 26, 3:58am
what are these even called! I have two big chicken legs with the thigh attached, thanks

indy95, Jun 26, 4:12am
Mattdylan, they are sometimes called Marylands although just now I can't remember why. They can be baked in an oven or cooked on a stovetop or in a slowcooker.

lindar, Jun 26, 4:16am
I too have some in the freezer, can't get inspired to use them so am eagerly waiting to see what ideas people can suggest .

sarahb5, Jun 26, 4:17am
Bake them with a honey mustard glaze

245sam, Jun 26, 4:22am
mattdylan, as far as I am aware the "chicken legs, with the thigh attached' are known as either 'chicken legs' (i.e. drumstick + thigh) or as indy95 has advised as 'Marylands',

Re what to do with them, here's a recipe (personally untried and tested) from Tegel.
"New Orleans Smothered Chicken
This is a wonderful slow-cooked dish that epitomizes New Orleans – no-fuss, spicy, comforting and completely delicious. It contains the Holy Trinity – celery, onion, capsicum – a trademark of many Cajun and Creole dishes.
Serves 4.
Ingredients:
4 chicken Marylands – that’s the thigh and drum still joined together
¼ cup vegetable oil – any will do
2 tablespoons flour
1 medium onion, diced
1 green capsicum, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 clove garlic, chopped
3 cups water (or enough to just cover the chicken)
2 bay leaves
½ tablespoon dried thyme (or 1 T fresh)
½ teaspoon each of black and white pepper
¼ teaspoon each of cayenne pepper and paprika
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Method:
Trim away any excess fat from the chicken and discard. If you’re in a hurry slash the flesh through to the bone to aid cooking. Heat the oil in a large saucepan until quite hot. Brown the chicken well on one side then remove from the pan. Add the flour to the remaining oil and juices and cook for 3-4 minutes whilst this “roux” bubbles and browns. You want it to brown but not burn so keep stirring it as it cooks.
Add the celery, onions, capsicum and garlic and cook for a further 3 -4 minutes. Now add the chicken back into the saucepan with the remaining ingredients. Ensure that the water level comes to just covering the chicken. Smother (i.e put a lid on it!), turn the heat to low and simmer gently for 45 minutes -1 hour or until the chicken is falling away from the bone."

Hope that helps.:-))

245sam, Jun 26, 4:27am
From the following which is from Wikipedia, it seems that we have copied the Australians -or maybe they copied us ;-)

"In Australia the term 'Chicken Maryland' simply refers to a butcher's cut consisting of the entire leg of thigh and drumstick, rather than any specific dish.":-))

pamellie, Jun 26, 5:23am
We had these last night. I just sprinkled a mix of flour paprika, salt and pepper over them and then roasted in the oven. We had roast potatoes, roast pumpkin, fried cabbage and gravy with them.

lythande1, Jun 26, 7:17am
You do anything you would normally do with chicken. You can par cook them and strip the meat, you can cut them in half, you can chop them with a cleaver into pieces like asians and make asian meals. You can bone them and bash them out flat and use as you would breasts, and it will be a lot moisterr and have more flavour too.