Wild Pork Roast

gmay, Jun 29, 8:27am
Any suggestions for a yummy result!

whitehead., Jun 29, 9:23am
if it was not bled right soak it in a salt and water bath a cup of salt to a sink of water mum used to do it over night to remove the blood as at times it was a while between shooting and bleeding we did this with rabbits and birds as well

gmay, Jun 29, 10:10am
thanks, i have been reading about soaking it in milk overnight to reduce the gamey taste and cooking it slowly with water in the base of the dish over 5-6 hours.maybe not a good idea to try a first time effort on dinner guests haha

masav, Jun 29, 10:22am
I cooked one last week in cider and sage , you my

beaker59, Jun 29, 11:12pm
Most of my Wild pork is stuck rather than shot so pretty well bled, mostly over my back as they are carried out :)

Never had an issue with Gameyness but then I guess thats personal taste and where the pig comes from and its condition.

I just slow roast in a covered roasting dish (these are great for game meats as they hold allot of moisture in. Also use lots of added fats I use chicken fat allot though anything from butter to beef fat works for me. Roast at a medium heat for as long as practical but a large roast can take 4 or 5 hours.

Crackling is OK but not as good as domestic pork but then that might be the way I cook it.

gmay, Jun 30, 10:04am
Awesome thanks for your help, going to cook it tomorrow and have another couple in the freezer so want to make the most of them and get it right :)

karenz, Jul 1, 2:39am
Maybe not this time around but it is worth doing the crock pot hangi recipe, I did it with wild pork and it was lovely, just look it up using the sidebar to the left if you are interested.

rainrain1, Jul 1, 4:26am
We have been promised a wild pork ham which I haven't tried before, I am guessing it will be really good.I won't know if it's cooked or raw until delivery

tehenga288, Jul 1, 4:36am
Yep agree - love it and so did my visitors - make it often now.