CRUMBLE

skin9, Jul 2, 6:20am
I'd like a sure tested crumble recipe for apples,rhubarb etc please . any suggestions!

gardie, Jul 2, 6:27am
1 part butter, 2 parts sugar, 3 parts flour - that was the magic combination I was told.I tend to use equal quantities of butter and sugar though and then chuck in some coconut and rolled oats along with the flour.Provided it sticks together when you squeeze a bit of it together, its not too necessary to worry about quantities.(And if it doesn't, add more butter!)

245sam, Jul 2, 6:34am
skin9, try doing a search here on the Trademe Recipes MB using e.g. Crumble as the Keyword and Last year as the Date posted option - you'll find that there are lots of earlier threads with different options for "sure tested crumble" recipes.
Personally I have one recipe (flour, rolled oats, sugar and butter) that I make in bulk in the food processor and keep in the freezer for crumbles made with almost any fruit but I have another couple of recipes that are popular too - I use one for rhubarb custard crumble and it's butter, brown sugar and flour (no rolled oats), the other I use for peaches and it is almost all rolled oats + butter and brown sugar.Along with those is the recipe my elderly Mum uses that we have enjoyed for many many years, and it is simply butter, sugar, vanilla essence, flour and a tiny amount of baking powder to give it a lightness.Do any of those recipes appeal to you!:-))