Can someone help me fix my soup?

jack_3, Jul 11, 2:40am
How I managed to stuff up something as simple as soup I have no idea but it is boring and bland, what can I add to make it tasty!

Its got onion, carrot, celery, bacon hock, s & p, mixed herbs, marmite (my pitiful attempt to add more flavour) but it has no real flavour.

kesley, Jul 11, 2:50am
can of tomatoes, dried basil and oregano, teaspoon of powdered chicken stock, half a teaspoon of chili powder if you like it hot.
have you simmered it very long! it takes an hour or two for real flavour to come out of the bacon hock.

davidt4, Jul 11, 2:51am
Does it need salt!Probably not given the bacon hock and the marmite.You could try the juice of a lemon, which will perk it up.I would probably add a big lump of butter or a couple of tablespoons of very good quality extra virgin olive oil, which would give some depth.

Unfortunately dried mixed herbstend to ruin anything they are added to by giving a musty, grubby taste.If you have some fresh parsley chop it finely and add just before serving.

kesley, Jul 11, 2:52am
flag the basil and oregano, mixed herbs cover that . mine also has a heaped teaspoon each of minced garlic and ginger, half a teaspoon of coriander (maybe mixed herbs include coriander, i'm unsure!) and a teaspoon of paprika.

kesley, Jul 11, 2:54am
oh and pulses. split peas, lentils, barley, whatever you've got hanging around. it never tastes like a soup for me until i add 3/4 cup of those. they give it a nice earthy flavour.
not grubby or musty like those mixed herbs though - i didn't realise they did that, i've never used them (and now I'm rather pleased about that).

kinna54, Jul 11, 2:55am
Any split peas, barley, soup mix! You could try adding some of that and re cooking.**but you need to wash and soak that mix first.*
That always gives your soup a good base. For extra flavour and thickness try adding pumpkin and or swede or parsnip, kumara. I also always add potatoes when I make soup.
And I have never put mixed herbs in. I only normally put herbs in cream type soups, or chicken soup, rather than a stock based soup.

Hope that helps.

jack_3, Jul 11, 2:59am
Have added some mixed soup pulses, garlic and a few halved cherry tomatoes.Its been in the crock pot since 12 so has a way to go yet, I just expected it to smell & taste kinda better by now.Thanks for your help :o)

chatsmom, Jul 11, 3:02am
Have you got any potatoes or kumera! They break down and make the base thick and can add natural sweetness.

jack_3, Jul 11, 3:04am
Yep, added one of each of those too

rainrain1, Jul 11, 3:09am
add a packet of King Old Fashioned

nunesy, Jul 11, 3:30am
I've used dried herbs before in soup and it didn't taste musty etc to me - but I add it at the beginning, not after it's cooked. jack_3 whatever you do, taste it again the next day; I've had the same problem, been disappointed and then the following day the soup was heaps nicer.

elliehen, Jul 11, 4:03am
Yes, you need to saute them in the oil or butter at the beginning with the onion.I throw in a Massel vegetarian stock cube:

Massel Ultracube stock cubes (Vegetable), made in Australia - has an Aussie flag top left on the pack and is:
Natural (flavour profile is obtained solely from natural, vegetable ingredients)
No preservatives
Gluten free
Lactose free
Trans fat free
Cholesterol free
No animal content
No added MSG

Contains 10 cubes, makes 5 litres and is very flavoursome
Massel makes Beef, Chicken etc too

rainrain1, Jul 11, 4:55am
ask your butcher for a beef bones, they have more flavour

jack_3, Jul 11, 5:35am
Soup is smelling WAY better and now that I've made some supa simple cheese scones to go with it the kids might even eat it!