Question about recipe - corn and cheese savoury

carlos57, Jul 12, 3:03am
Hi. I've found what sounds like a yummy recipe, but just want to clarify something. Ingredients are 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 1 cup milk, 1 cup grated cheese, 2 eggs, 1 can cream corn, salt and pepper. Instructions: Beat eggs and mix everything together. Put in a greased pie dish and sprinkle over some cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake till golden brown.

So, my question is, do you think the breadcrumbs and cheese mentioned in the ingredients list are just for the topping, or to be mixed in with the other ingredients! TIA

geldof, Jul 12, 3:17am
I think those are ingredients, and you would use extra for the topping.

I may be wrong, but for me if they were topping ingredients, they would be at the end of the list, and listed together.

carlos57, Jul 12, 3:22am
Thanks :) That's what I thought too. It's from a kindy fundraiser cookbook, so the recipes are not always 100% clear.

245sam, Jul 12, 3:27am
carlos57, I have a different thought both from reading the recipe as it is written and from comparing the recipe at#1 with a similar (no corn though) recipe that I have used.

I would use all of the breadcrumbs in the topping and "some cheese" (maybe ½ cup!) in the topping, having already mixed the remainder (½ cup!) in with the milk, eggs, corn and seasonings.

Hope that helps.:-))

carlos57, Jul 12, 3:37am
Ahhh, I see how you come to that conclusion. Thanks. Might have to do some experimenting with this one!

kara101, Jul 12, 6:48am
Or you could grease patty tins, butter white sandwhich bread and omit the breadcrumbs and put all the other fillings in them and bake and make yummy bread cases!