I have yogurt to use up

georgep31, May 28, 6:22am
Plain, unsweetened, homemade . and i want to do some baking!
Any cakes / slices or biccies you can recommend!

winnie231, May 28, 6:45am
*Banana Chocolate Yogurt Cake
2 cups sugar
200g butter
3 cups self raising flour
2 eggs
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup boiling water
1 cup plain yogurt
1 ½ tsp vanilla essence
2 mashed bananas
½ cup cocoa
¼ tsp salt
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Turn mixture in to medium roasting dish and bake at 180C for an hour. That’s it. Note, I pour the boiling water over the butter/marg to melt it. You don’t have to use plain yogurt. I have used fruit flavoured and it is lovely. I have also left out the cocoa altogether and not replaced it with anything. Bananas can be replaced with other soft fruit. So there you go. Very versatile. It will work fine in two smaller cake tins or even as muffins.* In my oven it took an hour and 10 minutes.*
Recipe from evorotorua

tjman, May 28, 6:47am
It's not a sweet recipe but you could add some colemans mint sauce and use it as a dip or on top of a baked potatoe.or with lamb and pita breads.

winnie231, May 28, 6:47am
Lemon Yoghurt Cake
This recipe has been in the family for over 25 years it was given to my Mother a friend in Seattle hence the use of a "bundt" tin. Bundt tins are available for sale in our catalogue. The cake keeps extremely well and freezes beautifully. Just remember to grease tin well with butter and dust with flour,shaking off the excess before filling with mixture.
Ingredients:
1 & 3/4 cups caster sugar
rind 2-3 lemons
2 eggs
1 cup sunflower oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plain unsweetened yoghurt (not low fat)
2-3 tsp lemon juice
2 cups self raising flour
Method:
Beat eggs,oil,sugar and peel together in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients in the order above. Butter and flour a 24cm bundt tin . Bake at 180C for 40-45 minutes. Test with a cake tester. Let cake rest only 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Dust cold cake with sifted icing sugar.
Recipe from cookessentials

*You can make this in a regular cake tin too.

winnie231, May 28, 6:50am
"Have it your way Savoury Muffins
Pre-heat oven to 200deg.C. Lightly grease muffins tins( 6 large, 12 mini), Mix together 2 eggs, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup thick yoghurt, Plus any one or more of the following 100g crumbled feta, 1/2 cup grated/or cubed cheese, ½ cup cottage cheese, plus one chopped tomato, one chopped onion, ½ - ¾ cup unfrozen, cooked chopped spinach. ( squeeze water out), ½ cup chopped bacon/ham, stir lightly (don’t over stir) until combined. 1 1/2 cups plain flour, 1 ½ teaspoon of baking power, ½ teaspoon salt, Spoon mixture into tins. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. posted by pam.delilah"

charlieb2, May 28, 7:16am
The worlds best Coffee Cake…. YUMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

2/3 cup canola or rice bran oil
1 1/4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup yoghurt, plain unsweetened
2 eggs
1 tbsp instant coffee mixed with 1 tbsp boiling water
1 cup walnut pieces
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
Extra 1/3 cup walnut halves, to decorate
COFFEE ICING
75g butter, softened
1 2/3 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
1. Heat oven to 160°C fan bake. Grease well a 22cm bundt or ring cake tin.
2. Place oil, sugar, yoghurt, eggs and coffee mixture in a bowl. Beat to combine. Fold in the walnuts and sifted flour until just combined.
3. Pour mixture into prepared tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in tin, then turn out.

lynja, May 28, 7:42am
you can freeze the yoghurt and use it at a later date in baking.

lespat, May 29, 4:35am
I have some leftover greek yoghurt. Could it be used just the same!

indy95, May 29, 4:46am
Yes, lespat you can use it for any baking.

245sam, May 29, 4:50am
georgep31andlespat, here's a recipe that I recommend as a use for some of your yoghurt.

This recipe makes chocolate-lovers' dream muffins - it's easy and really foolproof in that it doesn't seem to need mxing quite as carefully as most muffin recipes, although I'm not suggesting that the mixture be beaten or mixed too enthusiastically.

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
3 cups plain flour (450g)
1 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp cocoa
1½ cups brown sugar (360g)
½ cup each of dark chocolate dots and white chocolate dots – or chocolate buttons, quartered
120g butter, melted
1¼ cups milk or 1 cup natural unsweetened yoghurt + ½ cup milk
2 x 60g eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 5cm muffin pan.
Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a bowl. Add the brown sugar and dark and white chocolate dots. Mix, then add the melted butter, milk (or yoghurt and milk) and eggs and mix well. Three-quarters fill each of the muffin moulds.
Bake at 180°C for approximately 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before turning out.

Hope that helps.:-))

lucky1989, Nov 26, 7:21am
just made the above recipe. they are very strange muffins lol. i used wholemeal flour, strawberry yogurt, and added mixed berries though lol maybe it was my additions :P

im still guna eat them all up though haha so not all bad :P

nellbee, Nov 26, 7:25am
I use yoghurt watered down in place of milk in my baking (half yoghurt, half water proportions). It gives a lovely lightness.