Healthy meals for 4 under $10

bexcyboo15, Jun 11, 4:04am
What are some healthy meals under $10 for 4 people

cookessentials, Jun 11, 4:06am
Anything you are not keen on! do you like vegetarian meals at all!

bexcyboo15, Jun 11, 4:07am
Nope like everything

sarahb5, Jun 11, 4:09am

cookessentials, Jun 11, 4:11am
This is a quick “throw it together” meal that you can have on the table in well under an hour. It’s hearty and very warming on these chillier nights. I often substitute the chickpeas for cannellini beans as I prefer them, but use which suits you best. The tikka masala pastes are both good ones and they have natural ingredients and no MSG.

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large aubergine (eggplant) cut into big cubes
600g of crown pumpkin, peeled and cubed
1x sachet of either Patak’s or Asian Home Gourmet tikka masala paste
1x can of chickpeas or cannellini beans.

Canned chickpeas or cannellini beans are so much quicker than using dried which you have to soak for ever.

In a colander, place the aubergine and salt generously. This takes out any bitterness but also helps the aubergine soaking up too much oil. Let it drain in the sink for 30 mins. While aubergine is draining, chop onion and prepare pumpkin. The quickest way to prepare your pumpkin and also speed up your cooking time is to place large pieces, with the skin on, into an oven proof dish, add ½ cup of water and cover with cling film. Microwave about 6-7 minutes until just tender.
Rinse aubergine well under cold running water and drain well on kitchen paper or a clean tea-towel. Make sure you give them a good squeeze to remove excess water. Heat oil and sauté the onion until the onion is lightly browned. Add the eggplant to the onion and cook for 8-10 minutes until golden brown in colour.
Remove skin off cooked pumpkin with a knife and reserve the juices in the dish.
Add cooked pumpkin, juices and tikka masala paste and stir through. Add 1x drained and rinsed can of chick peas or cannellini beans which I prefer and stir through until well heated through. Serves four.
Eggplant has a host of vitamins and is a great source of fibre. Pumpkins are low in calories and rich in potassium. Chickpeas are full of added fibre and other nutrients like folate

bexcyboo15, Jun 11, 4:22am
Sounds good thanks

frances1266, Jun 11, 5:43am
I will bump up the vegetarian thread for you.Many vegetarian meals are cheap and delicious as well.

gaspodetwd, Jun 11, 6:52am
1. Jacket potatoes with cheese and coleslaw with salad.
2. Easy stew - 1 big onion, 1 leek, 2 carrots, 1 tin cheap baked beans, 1 tsp marmite, water ( to rinse out tin ), potatoes and the cheapest beef ( gravy, shin or whatever). Put in crockpot and Cook all day!
3. Pumpkin soup and homemade bread ( or good bake at home).